Thread: Paid for Therapy?

Paid for Therapy?

I’ve been told my wait time for therapy with the NHS is at least 8 weeks. I’m struggling most days at the moment and I’m financially stable enough to afford some paid for treatment.

I’ll be looking for CBT for my OCD. Is there anything I should look for in terms of certification when finding a therapist in my area?

Re: Paid for Therapy?

Trial and error I am afraid. I used the NHS, made me worse as they have to stick to the guidelines.

I now pay and this guy can go off piste if he wants and this has been a great help.

Now my guy offered the first hour free, to see how you both get on, look for that I think its a good "trust" thing.

And dont forget it may take a couple of sessions for him or her to get an idea as to what is going on.

Re: Paid for Therapy?

I have just had my first session free with a paid-for therapist.

Although I have found CBT helpful in the past, I am glad that she has various interests and qualifications so that we can go 'off-piste' as Bike rider said.

At the moment I don't feel able to drive to her house but we have a Skype consultation booked for next week. We talked on the phone for half an hour this morning.
    If, after a few sessions, I find her style doesn't suit me, I will try someone else.

Don't forget the cbt4panic website which has been promoted on here quite a lot. I have only read through the stuff at the moment but it has been quite helpful.

And to answer your question, there are sites where you can search for therapists on professional registers and ways to check their accreditations.

Thread Information