Thread: Support needed during a high-pressure period at work - thank you :)

Support needed during a high-pressure period at work - thank you :)

Hello all.

I run a festival about design. It's starting in a week and a half, and it goes on for 9 days. This is the 4th year of it. I have lots of suicidal thoughts at festival time. I could do with some extra support from you guys during this time please ...also my therapist is on holiday over the entire festival period.

The situation (health side):
    I have ME/CFS which is a chronic energy problem where I need a lot of rest, and if I concentrate for too long I have crashes and need to rest more. The crashes can be so bad that I can't hold a conversation or leave the house for days. Working is generally hard on good days, because it takes a lot of effort for me to concentrate and to stay wakeful, and I'm more emotionally sensitive. I feel the sort of tired like it's the end of a long difficult day, but all the time.

I'm also having to be aware that if I get too much into work, then I overwork and then I crash, so I have to walk a tightrope between getting as much work done as healthily possible and not doing too much that I end up feeling more unwell. I'm learning how to get better at this tightrope walking.

And on the mental health side - I'm not in an episode of depression right now, though I fear this could be the beginning of one if I don't use all the tools in my mental health toolbox right now. (Posting on here is one!) I've experienced two major bouts of depression since I was 19, and I experience anxiety on and off too though normally not as badly as depression. I'm in psychotherapy, I'm on citalopram 10mg (ultra slowly tapering off so I'm going to stay on 10mg for now) and I've done CBT in the past.

The situation (work side):
    I'm 28 and have no formal business training. I started a design festival for my professional network and it took off, and I just followed it. I'm a pretty earnest, altruistic person. I've put in a lot of love into this festival, but haven't earned very much from it at all. Last year was the only year it was funded enough for me to get paid for my work - otherwise it's all been voluntary. And a huge amount of work - months, part time, for me and several others.

8 people are on the team this year, and there will be probably 8 more volunteers for during the festival period. Probably 1000 people will come to the 30ish events we'll put on. I learnt how to manage people, lead a community, and do all the other event-related stuff on the job. It's a bloody mammoth endeavour. The community that attend love it... the organisations that put on events can be a bit snotty sometimes, but are mostly lovely. The volunteers are lovely.

__________________________________________________ ______

My current worries
    1. We don't have enough money this year, so it's affecting a lot of things, and currently it's especially affecting the stress levels of my project manager.

2. My project manager was tetchy at me yesterday - it's the first time I've seen her like that. She was inflexible in her thinking, and saw all the negatives without coming up with ideas. It made me concerned about her, and I really want to support her to be happy.

3. I said something passive aggressively to her when she pushed me too far about something. She wanted me to do something that could bring in more money (a slim chance) which I was afraid to do - call up someone that refused to sponsor us and ask again.

When I'm feeling hopeless, I don't speak in a way that helps situations. I felt hopeless. I knew that if I called them, feeling like that, I'd mess up the relationship long term. I tried to explain that to her but I don't think she understood, and she pushed me more. That's when I was snappy.

I feel inadequate as it is as a leader at the moment - leaders are meant to be positive and inspiring, and I felt bad about feeling hopeless. Here, again, was another situation where being hopeless made me again inadequate as a leader. Feeling bad about it wasn't going to help. I tried to explain to her that I needed to get into a better mood to call, before I snapped. I still don't feel hopeful about that organisation helping.

4. I need to apologise for being passive aggressive - it wasn't awful, but I still want to own up to it. I want to find out why she was unhappy yesterday and what else I can do to help - maybe I did something else wrong that I don't know about. I've been through a journey of processing the situation to be able to get to the point I can see more clearly what happened. Tomorrow I will feel ok to talk to her about it, because I've thought about it.

5. There's a shedload of stuff to do about getting the programme online and we're extremely behind. With my health and a brand new assistant, it is pretty amazing the volume of work we're handling, but we're under resourced so badly and it makes the work just not as good as I want it to be. I wish we had an extra person, but nobody skilled enough and reliable wants to work for free. Unsurprisingly.

6. I can't sleep so I'm likely to crash. And I've really overworked this week because we're so behind... everyone's working harder. For me it's dangerous.

7. Logistical problem with storing stuff at my grandma's, and being probably not well enough to travel.

__________________________________________________ ______

Ok that's the worries of the day out. Stay tuned for more worries as they come! Ha.

If you have any ideas about how I could do things differently, or if you notice some negative thinking that you could usefully point out so I can think about things more usefully, please let me know. Sometimes I need help prioritising what's important. Words of encouragement or sympathy are also very welcome thank you all.

Re: Support needed during a high-pressure period at work - thank you :)

Hi Lior,
    for you during this time.
    How are things going at the moment?
    I think you've definitely got the right idea in using all your tools including this forum, even if no-one replies it's useful to get the worries out of your head.
    You seem to be very self aware in terms of your patterns, triggers etc so that's great.
    I hope the festival is a big success and I wish you good health physical and mental.
    Best wishes
    Vicky
    X

I don't know much about your physical problems. CBT is great if you work it every day. Sounds to me that this festival is more trouble then its worth and I would find a decent paying job. I'm an artist and tried to make money from my work. The entry fees are to high, it's a lot of work to set up and tear down displays. Although I love art, I don't have the funds to compete with the other artists. So I do it as a hobby and enjoy it.

Stop focusing on worries, focus on solutions!

Thank you @vicky yep I know my patterns and triggers!

Haha @snowghost I don't think 'it's more trouble than it's worth' is in the entrepreneur's vocabulary. Yes it's a lot of work... but the drive in me to make things happen is... just the way my life is. It's a calling. I can't not do activities like this.

Funding is an issue, but no lives have been lost because of a lack of funding here. My health is an issue though, and that plus funding is a reason to slow down - but not to stop. If I stopped, I would just find another project to pour my soul in to.

You haven't stopped being an artist - you know what it's like to not be able to stop. I'm really glad you enjoy your art-making

Luckily I had a well-paying job before and I have some savings that I am living off until I find paid work after the festival. I've talked about stopping the festival to a few people, and other people really care and want to see it continue. It's bigger than me. I'd have to find a way for other people to run it while I'm unwell next year.

I had earned a modest sum from the festival last year - so it is possible for it to work out.

I worked incredibly hard last week, and I've expected to be unwell because of that, but I haven't crashed... I'm not sure now if I'm just not going to crash (which would be great!) or the crash might come later.

There have been stresses this past week, and tears. But I'm ok at the moment with my mental health.

Today I've been teary. I haven't felt well but I've worked anyway, and that's probably part of why I feel low.

The person responsible for bringing in the money stopped working today. She stopped even though she hadn't finished her work. In a start up, if the person responsible doesn't do the work, the work is not going to get done because there's not enough time for others to do it. She hasn't taken responsibility for her job. I don't know how we're going to finish up the work she's left. Now I, and others, have to take on extra work at a time when we're already incredibly busy. And her work is about bringing the money in.

I'm so so hurt and disappointed. She said several times at the beginning 'trust me' and I did. I thought trusting her would give her the strength to do a good job. It didn't work. I've seen that trusting people to do a good job does work for other people, but it didn't work with her.

As she left today, she said that she was happy with the work she'd done. She hadn't brought in a tenth of what she was aiming to bring in. I don't know how to respond. I pointed out how I don't know how to do her work without her, and would she stay to finish her work. She stuck to her guns. She drew the line because she wasn't earning out of this project. She's only not earning because she didn't do her job properly. None of us are earning, because of her, either.

And, I'm also hurt that all the organisations that the festival is supporting aren't paying to be part of it, as we asked - even if this sponsorship lead did her job badly, they could have co-operated. There was an agreement to explain that we'd need money from them on a sliding scale, but it turns out that people didn't read it. Only a handful of organisations paid to be part of the festival.

Ugh.... now that the sponsorship lead has left, I have access to her work email account. I just had a look at one of the emails. A big organisation offered help. She responded in a way that completely missed all the opportunities they offered. I don't want to look at the other emails, if that's how she's been doing things all this time. How much have we missed out on?

So, so upset. Horrified. I trusted someone and they made things worse, not better.

I don't live with anyone I can talk to about this. That's why I'm having a big old rant here. And my therapist is on a long holiday.

Earlier today I was having suicidal thoughts. It comes on so easily. It is easier than it used to be to remind myself that my life is bigger than this particular situation. Yes I'm undervalued by others, and I'm burnt by someone I trusted. But I can do something else. Even if I've failed this year, and even if I close this festival down, I can do something else.

I don't think I have the energy to salvage it. Even though other people want to see it happen again, I can't give any more. I've given til I'm gone. There isn't any of me left to give. I'm giving and not getting enough back. I'm done with this.

People that put on events at the festival act like they're doing me a favour, when it's actually for their own benefit, not mine. I don't want them to do an event if they're not going to benefit from it. I set up the festival to make the industry better - more recognised, more employment, more critical value. I didn't set up a commercial thing, this is more of a educational/mission thing. Yet they will be benefitting financially from the leads they'll get from their events. I feel so used, to have worked all this time and for them to not have paid for the service we're providing. The sponsorship lead pitched it wrong, and gave up. And left us all in the shit.

I can't express how hurt and horrified I am at how things have turned out. Sorry this is so long, I have to express what I can because I can't yet express the pain itself.

So tired but I can't sleep til late because it takes me ages to wind down from travelling and social contact.

I cried because I was so tired, and I'm numb to feeling proud and happy as I should feel right now. I just achieved a lot, but I'm not feeling it. Too unwell.

---------- Post added at 03:30 ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 ----------

My anxiety is running and reminding me of how I don't know if all those people I saw tonight like me or respect me. I don't know if I've done something to make them not like me in some way. One person from an org that has been unsupportive refused a free tote bag that I offered. I don't know why and I worry that it's because she doesn't want to be associated with the brand of the festival. Yet she did just speak in the event that was part of the festival. She's been gaining from being part of the festival yet doesn't seem to want to support it back.

I just feel really undervalued at the moment. And because I've been ill, I haven't been 'out there' talking with all these people, so I feel disconnected. I don't like it when people are cold. I don't know if it's because of me or because they're just like that. I don't like it when I'm too unwell, or too anxious, to be confident enough to talk to them first. Maybe they think I'm being cold when I'm just trying to get through the next minute.

It's so much easier to talk to some people rather than others. With some people I just feel judged. And I probably am being judged. I'm not taking it very well. I'm taking it personally. I feel so inadequate and it's so much down to having been unwell this year.

*cries lots*

Thread Information