Thread: Emetophobia travelling worries

Emetophobia travelling worries

Okay, so in a few weeks I am going on a trip with my school to Beijing. I have emetophobia, so am of course anxious and worried about, well, a lot of it! The plane journey, travelling once we get there, and probably my biggest worry is the food.
    I really don't want to get food poisoning, but it seems so hard to avoid! I have already been to only drink bottled water, no ice, fruit you can peel yourself, but are there any other things I should avoid? I'm considering taking disposable chopsticks or cutlery, but is this unnecessary? I will probably also end up taking some food from England - biscuits, cereal bars etc. in case I really don't want to chance it. Is there anything else I can do? Any foods I should avoid? Thanks

Re: Emetophobia travelling worries

wow that's a big adventure well done for not letting your anxiety get the better of you it sounds like you're taking positive steps to lessen any anxiety you have about getting sick which is great.
    For the plane I'd say get your self some ginger teabags and peppermint tea bags both of which are strong anti-nausea.
    I really like aromatherapy so I find that sniffing some peppermint oil helps when I'm feeling sick it's very refreshing and soothing. Also consider getting some lavender oil which will help for emotional nausea so the type you get when you're feeling anxious.
    I've never been to Beijing before so have no idea about the food you'd get there, but like you say it's just a case of the things you talk about. People go travelling all the time and don't get sick. Also your teachers are there to help, I'm sure they will have done research/talked to the hotel owners maybe and tell you if there's anything to avoid.
    Something I find comforting is to think of cookery programmes where they travel and try all those different street foods, their confidence gives me some comfort I suppose.
    I would take some immodium JUST IN CASE!
    Hope you have a fantastic time!

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 ----------

Also just remembered it's probably a good idea to take some of that alcohol hand santizer no water needed stuff just to keep your hands clean if you're out somewhere and can't wash them before you are going to be eating with your hands.

Beijing is a beautiful country and very clean for the most part. I would say avoid street food-although 99% of it is perfectly safe and clean, some of the flavours are very strong and may upset your tum if you're already feeling worried about unsettling it.

Enjoy it, it's a wonderful experience...the supermarkets there are absolutely fine. But I always take home comforts with me.

x

I have the same issues. I would love to travel (Especially around Asia, Japan mainly) but suffer with extreme Emetophobia. Even when at home I take drastic measures to not get sick and never eat out at all. Obviously travelling requires eating out a lot. Anyone have any calming/reassuring advice? Thanks

Thread Information