Thread: Depression, anxiety & low confidence

Depression, anxiety & low confidence

Hello everyone, first post here.

I am 27 and feel that i have been suffering from all the above for a few years now.

Im not sure where it all began but its been a tough 8 years since my parents divorced. It was a bad divorce, i had to go to court as mum had accused dad of assault and i supported my dad when it looked like no one else was. I then didnt speak to my mum for 2 years until i had to move back in with her due to my dad not being able to pay rent, it came out last year that he has been a gambling addict since the divorce and lost £120,000 since 2009. During that time i lent him £5,000 and had to constantly keep it a secret from everyone, i had a few counselling sessions as it got too much at times feeling like i was responsible for him.

In general i just feel like at 27 i am behind where i should be, only have £4,500 in savings and still living at home with my girlfriend and her dad, we are currently saving for deposit. I dont have many friends, i got out every 3 or 4 weeks and just feel like i lack so much confidence in myself.

I passed my driving test in 2010 but decided i did not need To drive and since the beginning of the year i have said to myself i need to get in the car and drive but i just cant bring myself to do it, i know once i get back in a car ill be fine but my self confidence at the minute is so low.

I havent seen a GP before about this but wondering maybe if its something i should do. I just want to feel happy and confident about my own life and i just feel i havent felt that way in a long time.

Just sharing how i feel if anyone has any thoughts or advice on how to get past this anxiety and lack of confidence that would be a big help thanks

Re: Depression, anxiety & low confidence

My proven method for depression is just to go out and brake your daily routine.
    Go to a gym, join a local community that does Cycling, hiking, climbing etc..
    If you don't have a hobby then start one.

Re: Depression, anxiety & low confidence

Bd1990 Sounds like you've been feeling a lot of responsibility for others. Now you need to devote time to yourself.

Getting the driving sorted would open up opportunities for you. Why not ask the place that taught you to drive - and pass your test - to take you out for a 'refresher' session? A friend of mine stopped driving when she met her husband and 20+ years later, when he died, she suddenly found her only options were public transport, walking and lifts.

No reason not to go and see your GP if you want to, especially if he / she is sympathetic to this sort of problem. That won't give you instant confidence, of course but may be reassuring for you.

My own view is that a GP, who has 10 minutes for you (or 20 if you can get a double appointment) is likely to dish out a drug and, for me, that is not what I want. I have consulted a respected, experienced herbalist and am using a mixture that I believe is helping me.

I hope you can start to see a way through and take those first few steps very soon.

Thread Information