Thread: reassurance needed re length of time prozac takes to work?

reassurance needed re length of time prozac takes to work?

i haven't posted for a while as fell into a terrible black hole around 6-7 weeks after coming off citalopram plus had a lot of stress/horrible things happen this year. i have been on prozac for just over 4 weeks as i became terrified of taking medication (have been suffering acid reflux and had a frightening reaction to a drug the gp gave me) - for some reason - i wanted to take prozac (which i have had once before) because that felt the safest to me. i am also on a sleeping tablet and have been taken the occasional diazapam - have had 5mg today but usually only 1-2.5mg per week which is pretty much nothing.

the reason i am posting is that i have a few days where i feel more stable and i can see glimpses of the old me returning and then i have a day where i literally feel i am back at square one. i have been on ssris before and it has always followed a consistent pattern - 2-3 weeks of feeling worse than before and then steady improvement but this time i feel as though i am on a rollercoaster.my gp says this is normal but it is really unnerving me how i can go from starting to see light at the end of the tunnel to feeling as though life is not worth living a few days later. anyone else experienced the same?

Re: reassurance needed re length of time prozac takes to work?

First time I went on Fluoxetine - 3-4 weeks, 2nd time - 5-6 (same dosage)

I used to use Diazepam as and when required, but I found I got really really strong rebound anxiety from it so stopped (went away after a week)

Everyone is different, but you will find your balance

Hang on in there!!

I've never taken Prozac, but my best friend started taking it about fourteen months ago. Like you, he got into a period a few weeks after starting the drug where he would feel like he was making progress for a few days, then have a dark day. As time went on, the stretches of good days lasted longer and the dark days went away. Hold onto those days when things look good and know they will be back. You'll soon see those down periods occurring less frequently and possibly also being less severe each time they come back.

Yep for me it took about 6/7 weeks to level off-you will have up and down days til it settles, just make the most of the good days!

Thread Information