Thread: Will this ever end? Dexamethasone fear

Will this ever end? Dexamethasone fear

So I am in a good health, judging from all my recent tests and scans. No enlarged lymph nodes (they seem enlarged only to my fingers, not the ultrasound and not the doctors). No lumps in breast, according to 2 ultrasounds and my gynecologist. I believe her. I am fine.

BUT I have a new obsessive worry coming at me. It isn't even happening yet. I have slightly increased hormone androstendione and my doctor prescribed my low dose dexamethasone (steroid) for it to ensure my pregnancy is ok. Because this hormone can play havoc with it.

I will take it. But I am afraid to take it because I once read an medical article that dexamethasone lowers lymphocytes. Mine are not very high to begin with since the beginning of the pregnancy - my wbc was 9.7, which is normal for 1st trimester (up to 13), 7 neutrophiles (normal too, up to 10, but these may have increased both due to pregnancy and my recent bronchitis, blood was taken when I still had cough). And lymphocytes only 1.66 (lower norm is 0.7).

So I KNOW all these are fine and my doctor didn't say a word about them being abnormal or anything.

But NOW I am afraid to take dexamethasone because my lymphocytes would drop even lower and I am afraid if my blood is taken again, and lymphocytes are lower then normal, then I will think it's lymphoma again, DESPITE KNOWING THAT DEXAMETHASONE CAN CAUSE THEM TO BE LOWER.

I know they will lower because when I had huge allergy, I was given a IV dexamethasone and my lymphocytes dropped by one single IV dose to 1.4.
    Maybe they won't now because mine is a very small dose.

Nevertheless, I am taking these pills now and praying that thay either will not take my blood count while I am on them, or that my lymphocytes will stay where they are.

I am completely aware of how illogical this sounds. I know, I know, it is health anxiety speaking!

I have started knitting in evenings to calm myself down. It helps. The repetitive movements and knitting helps with the racing heart and panic, also somewhat helps with intrusive thoughts.

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

I live in a country where it is very very easy to have all the tests I want to have. We have a lab where I can come, say what I want to test, pay the money and they will test it. Comparing to other countries, for really small fees. All the results come to my e-mail and are stored in an safely secured site where I can see all my referred or private results all at once, see them in graphs, tables, etc.

It is all very convenient for normal people. But for folks like us it is a torture. Because I logged in and saw all my blood work since 2012, when this system was started.

And, for example, full blood count only costs me ~5 euros, when I want to take it without being referred from doctor.

So now I am trying to resist to go and check my full blood count. My last one was taken 2 weeks ago and doctor didn't mention anything was wrong. It's just for my understanding lymphocytes were a bit lower than I would want and neutrophiles higher. But completely normal in pregnancy.

Re: Will this ever end? Dexamethasone fear

Bastett

I'm a Pharmacy Technician by profession so I'm probably going to be good advice re your Dexamethasone.

I assume:
    * You're taking 2mg tablets once daily
    * You've been given a steroid card
    * The prescribing doctor is aware of your previous reaction

Steroids are known to affect your immune system - they are often given to patients undergoing transplants (e.g. kidney) along with other immunosuppresants like Prograf, to lower the risk of rejection.

I'm not exactly sure what you're worried about, but your condition requires you take the DEX. Take as prescribed, and should you have any issues or side effects, see your GP or Pharmacist for further advice...

All the best.

Re: Will this ever end? Dexamethasone fear

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    Bastett

I'm a Pharmacy Technician by profession so I'm probably going to be good advice re your Dexamethasone.

I assume:
    * You're taking 2mg tablets once daily
    * You've been given a steroid card
    * The prescribing doctor is aware of your previous reaction

Steroids are known to affect your immune system - they are often given to patients undergoing transplants (e.g. kidney) along with other immunosuppresants like Prograf, to lower the risk of rejection.

I'm not exactly sure what you're worried about, but your condition requires you take the DEX. Take as prescribed, and should you have any issues or side effects, see your GP or Pharmacist for further advice...

All the best.

Thank you.

Actually no, I am taking 0.125 mg daily. I have not been given steroid card and my doctor does not know because it was times ago and in ER. The reaction was not bad, lymphocytes never dropped below normal after that IV system.

I am not even sure why I have to take it as I haven't read any proof that it is used for lowering androstendione in pregnancy! It is used here, in my country, for that purposes, however, with good results.

I will take it, but , for example, today after taking the 1/4 of the pill (0.125 mg) my blood pressure raised to 150/90, when normally I am 100/60. I am not sure if it had to do with the pill because when I had this drug for allergy in larger dose, I didn't have that kind of reaction.

Thread Information