Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head whooshing/falling sensation in head

Head whooshing/falling sensation in head

Hi, Everyone! I am proud to say I have been pretty much anxiety - free for about a month now. Sure, I have moments, but I have been able to get myself under control and feel relatively normal . . until now . . .

The other night I was sitting, watching TV. I took a bite of cereal and it didn't taste right to me. Then, I could feel a little twinge of concern. The next thing I knew, in my head, I felt a whooshing or "falling sensation" and I could really feel the adrenaline flow then. I suddenly worried if I was having a seizure or stroke. It happened a few times afterward, and I remember just trembling with fear. Then, another head whoosh and my trembling went away, but I could feel this warmth coming over me. I tried to sleep and occasionally it was the rest of my body getting the "falling" sensations.

The next day, I was very irritable, tired, I had a headache, and no doubt my mind was on my head whooshing. I have still experienced it and it is freaking me out. It seems to occur when I am using my eyes -- primarily when watching TV, not when I am active.

This past year, all my EkGs. blood work, and even a CT on my brain came back normal. I do have other stressors in my life like my marriage, a sick child that has had a fever for over a week now (doc says it's viral, but that doesn't help me) -- btw on my way to taking her to the doctor (Monday) I had a mild panic attack, so evidently I was already keyed up. The whooshing started Tuesday night -- the holidays in general and so forth. I just wonder if I am just exhausted and my brain is in overdrive.

Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you in advance for anything you can tell me. Hugs, Wiskers ~

Re: Head whooshing/falling sensation in head

Honey I wanna first wish you a Happy Thanksgiving and I hope where you are, you're enjoying this day and not worrying about your head. I'm from NY btw, just been here in Pakistan for a year and will leave here for college soon.

Now to your head. It's interesting you say that it happens to you when your eyes are doing their thing. Back in September for about 10 days I went through this. I woke up one day and something about my eyes didn't feel right. It felt like I was cross eyed, or like I was concentrating too hard, or too little...sometimes I'd feel like I would look at something and immidiately my eyes would get 'caught' on it and soon I'd be cross eyed... it was just WEIRD, felt like my eyes were in the wrong head, or the wrong eyes were in my head.

Soon the woosh, falling sensation began...I thought it was dizzyness so I told my doc who said I should get my BP checked, perhaps it was low...I also told him about my eyes and he said that I needed to stop using the computer and watching TV for a few days...I did that, and my eyes are now fine..and that woosh has went away. It occasionally comes back from time to time...but it feels less severe and usually only happens once and then goes away.

So what I'm saying is- there might be a relationship between your eyes and head wooshing. I think you need to relax! The panic attack didn;t help. Don't worry your child will be a-ok! This is the time of the year when kids get sick.

You have nothing to worry about
    Happy Turkey day!

I think the problem we all have is we are so aware of every new symptom we feel it tenfold. Iv had the head whooshing as well i know exactly what you mean, like you it seems to be eye movement maybe its to quick or something. Have you noticed we all have anxiety, we all get the same symptoms and wer all still here! I go through a time when i hardly ever get anxiety then suddenly a weird symptom happens and im of again yet there is a strong part of me that knows it will pass its like the rational side but the irrational side is stronger! So we need to do some relaxation more often and self talk is good especially out loud its a great distraction!

Thank you, Yanksforever and Paige, I greatly appreciate your comments and reassurance. I have noticed it more if my eyes move a certain way or something. It is weird. And, I think we could all use a break from the TV from time to time. Perhaps this is my hint it is time to turn it off for awhile! Paige, you are right, it seems we all do, as anxiety sufferers, end up with such similar if not same symptoms and they are magnified tenfold when we are at our weakest moments. I remember not so long ago I went over a month feeling dizzy! After I went to a good doctor, he told me to take an antihistime and low and behold it went away! Perhaps I am now symptom shifting -- just another thing to add to my anxiety symptom resume. Ugh! Anyway, I appreciate you both taking your time on your holiday to respond to me. I hope you both, too, are having a nice Thanksgiving. Use up all that excess energy we have into digesting that turkey!! ha! Take care! Hugs, Wiskers ~

Hey all wanted to bring this thread back up as I have been having these head sensations a lot recently.

It is like a sensation of your brain dropping inside your head or doing a flip. It also feels like I am just about to pass out, only lasts for a couple of seconds then usually stops.

I have recently come off Sertraline so I don't know if it has something to do with that. It is quite worrying though.

It's called a head rush,yet another sign of anxiety.

I have had a few over the years and appear to come on for no apparent reason.

I have had these but I didn't know what they were. It felt like my brain did a flip for a few seconds and I felt instantly panicky and anxious and a hot flush.

hi, Im new here! but im not new to anxiety... I cant count the number of episodes of extreme anxiety ive had over various odd/uncomfortable symptoms.
    My latest one is really similar to what is described in this thread. Sudden dropping head sensation... anyone figured this out? its now become a constant spacey head feeling.... hypersensitized to my own movemtns? or is it actual real dizziness? and the dropping sensation... seems to be worst when I move around indoors... ugh. Its really bad right now:-/ .
    This thread is really old... but id love to know how these people got on!

Hey Justine I'm wondering how they are too, I'm in the situation and have been for the last 2 weeks, its driving me insane .. if ya wanna chat you can email me but it wont let me post it

Hi everyone,

For the last week and a half I started getting these head rush feelings and general feelings of light headedness. Some days better than others. I really first noticed this feeling when I was trying out Zoloft and Buspar back in October, or when I would be coming down from Xanax being in my system. Once I kicked the long term meds and went to clonazapam the next few months I was lightheaded/head rush free.

But last weekend I noticed them coming back. I won't even be stressed and then I get the slightest feeling of lightheadedness and then I can't stop thinking about it. Then every once and a while I'll feel like my head is falling. By far the scariest symptom of my anxiety. I've learned how to deal with my other symptoms but I don't know how to kick this one. And my next therapy appointment isn't until the end of the month. I can't help but think something is wrong with my heart or that something sinister is happening within my brain.

The only thing that kind of helps is knowing I'm not the only one with these odd sensations.

Mark

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

Just learned something, teeth grinding and TMJ are things that can also cause dizziness and head wooshing or other symptoms of vertigo. It can also cause inner ear inflammation which can give a spell of dizzies and balance problems. I suffer from teeth grinding and TMJ which is something that was confirmed by my dentist. I also have noticed that my right ear is usually plugged when I wake up in the morning.

So idk if anybody in this thread has any of the aforementioned ailments. If you do there is a good chance that this could be something that is causing your lightheadedness/head rush feelings.

After reading about that I kind got a feeling of elation, which is very rare for me when reading about symptoms of any kind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information