Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone overcome Solipsism ocd?

Re: Has anyone overcome Solipsism ocd?

I used to have solipsism obsession really severely until a few weeks ago when I cured it with some sort of 'logical compromise'. I thought about it to death and got some sort of 'answer' with very convincing logic but after I cured it completely(like I can think about solipsism intentionally and not get bothered at all), I became obsessed with something else and I'm now suffering from that. so I'm trying to deal with that.

I’m feeling forums isn’t helping.

People saying stuff like it’s fine to believe in solipism isn’t helping.

Since I went on a forum and found out there was a term for how I feel I have felt this word into my head every minute of the day, I’ve felt drained, like I can’t love anymore feel numb about life.

If this is such a common symptom with depersonalization one would think there would be some meds rather people on forums thinking it’s fine to believe in solipism.

I never felt this way months ago since coming on forums it’s put these ideas into my head and finding out every thought has a silly name attached to it.

This is probably why your therapist has advised you to stay off forums, Phil.

Not entirely sure where you're going with this. And also solipsism itself has so many 'different' branches and each branch is very different(some more possible/reasonable than others). Also, it's all a perception. You can embrace it or you can fear it.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDme View Post
    Not entirely sure where you're going with this. And also solipsism itself has so many 'different' branches and each branch is very different(some more possible/reasonable than others). Also, it's all a perception. You can embrace it or you can fear it.
    So are you saying solipsism is real?

From what I’ve read solipsism is quite far fetched. It seems related to depersonalization.

Since I’ve been on forums I’ve had bad anxiety about this why would I embrace something that may not be true. It’s like worrying about what happens when you are no longer around? You may believe in reincarnation but no proof.

I think this is a serious issue as I read some people end up in hospital ect if they question meaning of life ect so these anxiety and depression thoughts can be serious and maybe some of them had solipism? I believe there is various different ideas about life and terms for things.

Phil,

Solipsism OCD is better read for you. If people want to question existence that's fine but when it starts to impact your mental health is will be classified as the relevant mental health disorder, in this case a theme of OCD is likely.

How can someone answer the question "is solipsism real"? They can tell you it's a philosophical view but it's the same as asking if god is real. And if you did believe it wouldn't this be your own mind answering itself anyway?

A solipsism forum sounds a real mind bender. People discussing it's existence as a view, fine. A bunch of people all worrying it's true is another matter...and very strange indeed considering what it's about.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Phil,

Solipsism OCD is better read for you. If people want to question existence that's fine but when it starts to impact your mental health is will be classified as the relevant mental health disorder, in this case a theme of OCD is likely.

How can someone answer the question "is solipsism real"? They can tell you it's a philosophical view but it's the same as asking if god is real. And if you did believe it wouldn't this be your own mind answering itself anyway?

A solipsism forum sounds a real mind bender. People discussing it's existence as a view, fine. A bunch of people all worrying it's true is another matter...and very strange indeed considering what it's about.
    You are correct it has affect my mental health so that's the issue do you think the therapist can help with this or is there better ways to get over it?

Do you think it's quite a far fetched the Theroy though I mean is god real well somebody created earth but wondering if the world evolved around you to me is worse. The depersonalisation makes me believe nobody is real..to me i mean if people say who knows If solipsism is real well is that not saying you believe in it yourself? Or anybody else who says this?

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

I googled it a lot and seemingly not many people believe in solipism. Most people dont believe.

It doesn't surprise me not many believe in it, what would be the point? You could surely live a life without consequence and change reality to work for you but why then wouldn't that happen? Are all solipsists slaves to the subconscious mind that creates it all for them?

To me it makes no sense. It's also very convenient in that the mind gets a free pass on anything that you can't predict or explain.

Believing in a creator is obviously more plausible. Forget religion though, that can be argued against whereas a creator can still exist outside of doctrines created by man. But we may never know if a being created the universe and even after death that being may not have any contact with us to explain it any way. This is where asking if solipsism is real is the same robot hole argument to me because you won't get an answer and have to choice what you want to believe. In someone with All-or-nothing thinking due to their anxiety that can be a problem as we really want an absolute yes or no to things and struggle with accepting life is full of shades of grey.

Is remaining open to something agreement it may exist? Not sure. It can be. But you could also argue the person has no interest in the question hence no need to firm an opinion. And some people are more analytical thinkers who refrain from an opinion in the absence of evidence or hold a default position of not valid until evidence is produced. I'm not sure but these people may consider the question of the validity of solipsism in a different way?

If life was a VR game and I was alone it would be less fun because nobody would properly exist and life would be fake. For me it’s important everybody has a life my big fear is when you are no longer around still not finding out the answers.
    What conclusion I’ve come to is if nobody else is real and life is a simulation rather than solipsism being real infact we could all be part of the simulation and other minds can exist in the simulation.
    I believe in reincarnation so I don’t believe you get answers I believe you are gone and have a short time to reflect before having a new life. Does that prove solipsism isn’t real no you could re-enter another simulation.
    Also I realise if solipsism was real I would most likely be somebody famous who could change the world rather than an average person. People often say to me why do I need the answers to life I do best I can do is put it to the back of my mind maybe we are not meant to know but I’d still like to.
    Perhaps if time travel space travel or aliens were discovered that would change life and might not always be for the better. I believe in time travel so therefore I believe my life is a fix because I could exist in the future in a wormhole. So yes I also believe in immortality where you can live forever but I believe reversing aging is the cure or time travel.
    In terms of solipsism forum searching 90% of people dismiss it rather than when I post I’ve had many say you can’t prove it hence the greater anxiety so looking at old posts helps more. Solipism can’t be proved as much as what happens when you die nobody is able to prove this.
    But yes the issue is ocd here and I’m therapy isn’t helping. For me people have to or everyone is pointless. (I believe that has a term aswell when I googled it). I could also ask do you believe im real?

Because I can’t prove that either to anybody. From what I’ve read solipsism is based around depersonalization which comes from having anxiety.

---------- Post added at 10:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Yes you mention reality to work for you. For example I had a bipolar breakdown in 2016 and I’m sure that’s when you “lose touch” with reality so if solipism was real and I lost touch with reality surely others wouldn’t exist the first night it happened I never recognised people until I was on meds. Like I say my hospital experience caused me lots of anxiety and meaning of life questions.

I told my partner about these thoughts she said it’s depressing.

So yes how can I cope with this ocd?

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

If solipsism was true the opposite gender would not exist that would be strange. Also if it was true would 3rd and 4th genders not exist? Why only two why would I only male exist?

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Also you can reproduce, people age ect so what that means is if others are not real nor would I be real?

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Could solipsism be a mental illness or cause one or make you lose your mind?

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information