Thread: does Citalopram make self-harm worse?

does Citalopram make self-harm worse?

Hi,

I was given Citalopram 10mg yesterday after I gave in and told the doc I needed something. I fought 2 and half years of not having meds and Having being in the talking stage Its really hard.

Im scared about taking them, But Ive read somewhere, It increases Self-harm feelings/actions?

Has anyone experianced this?

Also Were the side effects bad on this low dose?

Thanks.
    Nikk x

Re: does Citalopram make self-harm worse?

hi i was prescribed these and i could only take them for 2 days. i was prescribed them for panic attacks and agoraphobia, and from the evening of the day i first took one (10mg) i was seriously depressed, didnt stop crying once, was lying in bed trying to think of who i could give my children to cause i couldnt be here anymore!..i wasnt exactly planning my suicide but i had this terrible feeling of despair. and that i just couldnt go on...i have never ever felt that way in my life, and have never felt that way since, it was terrifying and i would never touch anti-ds again after that..i told doc i didnt even want to try another one becasue i was so scared of what happened to me. panic attacks didnt seem so bad after i had experienced what it feels like to be seriously depressed.

the gp and the pharmacist both agreed i should stop taking them straight away and it was a side-effect that this might happen, even on such a low dose and even only after 2 days.

it also says on the leaflet insie box that there is a risk of suicide, self harm etc...from memory it said it was more likely up to age 24 (im 26).

i have read on here and other sites people say that citalopram have changed their lives for the better, so i guess its diff for everyone, and i have also heard it gets worse before it gets better.

my brother was prescribed them for depression as he has ME and has been housebound for quite some time..he could only take them for 3 days as he woke up one morn and couldnt move and his eyes were flickering!!

i dont want to seem horrible in telling you these things, and i know it wont help you to be less scared of taking them..this is just my experience of them.

my doc did say that i must be sensitive to them, so i dont think what happened to me was all that common x

"If you have faith, nothing is impossible to you" (Matthew 17:20)

i think u have to realise that your anxiety and depression are making u ill, so u are at risk from self harm anyway

the citalopram given time and therapy, will help u deal with the issues and causes of ur illness

please give them time to work

it may take a while to sort the dose too, but for me, nothing is as bad as the illness without the meds

take care little nikk

milly xxxxxxxxxxxx

milly what an encouragment u are thnks. am onn 10mg citalopram it worked 4 me. Tried upping my dose to 15 YUKK was awfully nauseous so am bak donw to 10-mg and am fine on them xxx

Quote Originally Posted by lauragcam View Post
    hi i was prescribed these and i could only take them for 2 days. i was prescribed them for panic attacks and agoraphobia, and from the evening of the day i first took one (10mg) i was seriously depressed, didnt stop crying once, was lying in bed trying to think of who i could give my children to cause i couldnt be here anymore!..i wasnt exactly planning my suicide but i had this terrible feeling of despair. and that i just couldnt go on...i have never ever felt that way in my life, and have never felt that way since, it was terrifying and i would never touch anti-ds again after that..i told doc i didnt even want to try another one becasue i was so scared of what happened to me. panic attacks didnt seem so bad after i had experienced what it feels like to be seriously depressed.

the gp and the pharmacist both agreed i should stop taking them straight away and it was a side-effect that this might happen, even on such a low dose and even only after 2 days.

my doc did say that i must be sensitive to them, so i dont think what happened to me was all that common x
    I took my first one last night and had the very same experience, plus. Even had the ambulance out in the early hours. I will not take another

I take citalopram, 40 mgs. I did feel worse before I felt better but I think I was suicidal before I started taking them.

They eventually helped to ease my depression and another good thing was that I was bulimic and it has helped me in that way that now I just hate the thought of being sick.

I used to phone the Samaritans, especially at night and they really helped me to keep steady in the early days.

Sheena

Hi Sheena

Myself I am on 40mg per day of Citalopram and I do find them to be helping in small doses. I still have off days as everyone does and I still have bad thoughts even when I am on them but not as but when I wasnt on any medication at all!

Thread Information