Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting CBT

Starting CBT

Well, got phone call today and have managed to arrange my first CBT session for tomorrow at 5pm.

I'm glad that the date in the diary now, but am anxious over what I will find or indeed what will happen.

My gp and psychriatrist feel it is right for me, although I am not sure, but I will do anything that helps me get to grips with my anxiety and panic attacks.

I have read some of the posts on the forum and information on site, so have a little understanding, but my stomach is doing somersaults big time!

Any pointers of what to expect would be really appreciated.

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

I would imagine your first session will just be an assessment of your current mental health and the CBT therapist will explain more about what they can do to help and give you chance to ask any questions you may have.

Don't worry about it, use the time constructively and hopefully you'll come away feeling much more positive. You're taking the next step to getting right!

Good luck,
    Roz x

'All I want is to be normally insane' Marlon Brando

CBT Questions
    Maxine's cbt progress.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Good luck with it Elaine - do let us know how you get on

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Hope the session goes well for you Elaine.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

How did you get on? Hope it went ok for you.

Tam x

Thank you all for messages of support.

I have to admit to being nervous beforehand, but once through the door and met guy doing session, felt very much at ease!

As you said Rozza, it was getting to know me, lots of questions and pleased to say lol!

He was great, asked me to talk him through the lead up to a typical panic attack etc. How I feel most of the time, a little about me and my family then about CBT and how he works with each person. A couple of my responses he jumped on and said that was interesting and 'we will revisit this' - things like talking yourself into a panic attack and my low imagine of myself - people pleaser, etc.

So I left feeling positive, with big smile on my face and with HOMEWORK.

A daily diary of moods, triggers and events.

A list of goals - what I would like to achieve and overcome.

Two sheets to judge my mood on the day of my next appt (Thurs or Fri next week!)

Something I did realise whilst there is that I believe I have been suffering with HA (if you knew my medical history you would understand why I am more anxious than most over my health!) and GA far longer than I realised. It has been the panic attacks of recent that have caused it all to come to a head, so that realisation must be progress!

I have to say, he was great, very good relaxed manner, I feel he will really be able to help!

Elaine

I'm glad it went well. It sounds great! Who would have thought homework could make you so happy lol. I am sure this thread will help others considering CBT so keep posting on how it's going.

Tam x

Well second session of CBT was yesterday.

I went armed with my diary, list of issues/goals and sheets gauging how I was feeling.

We went through my diary and overall felt the week had been generally positive. My sleep patterns have improved.

The sheets came out reasonably well - interestingly within the range he expected for me.

We agreed that I was to reduce the diazepam tablet by half for several days and then to stop it, just leaving the citalopram.

One of my tasks was to list issues/goals.

As everyone gives so freely here, I don't feel too embarassed to list them, so here goes:

- over anxious about own health

- always see a situation in the worst possible light - looking for negative - will I cope? Always thinking about things that are weeks in advance.

- anxious over children - schooling - missing out - What emotional baggage am I giving them?

- people don't/won't like me - not good enough - not interesting enough - real need to be liked. Do people really like me?

We spent alot of time discussing this list, much of which we will revisit over coming weeks. He had some very interesting comments about the various headings and slants on them I couldn't see - food for thought and all that.

Once again we ran out of time, but I feel he has the real measure of me now - probably scared the hell out of him LOL - We did laugh alot over what was being said though!!

Next week apparently its getting down to the nitty gritty so that will be interesting!!!

So for this week, I have to continue my diary, do the sheets again on the day I see him and a list of things outsdie my comfort zones - things I am avoiding at the moment - that should prove an interesting list!

I will keep posting as Tammy suggested, just in case it helps anyone else.

Thanks for reading - hope I haven't bored the pants off you!

Elaine

**hope I haven't bored the pants off you!**

I'm sure this will come under *always see a situation in the worst possible light - looking for negative * lol

No , you haven't . We like following peoples progress and getting updates.

Thank you..

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information