Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Were you always a "thinker" as a child?

Were you always a "thinker" as a child?

According to my parents, when I was a baby/child I didn't smile or laugh much. I was always looking and as though I was taking everything in.
    I've seen home videos and I seem to just stare and take things in, quite serious and ask many questions.
    As I got older it was always the same, reading, thinking and giving too much thought to everything.
    I think this may have shown I was anxious from an early age...

Was anyone else the same?

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Were you always a "thinker" as a child?

Yes! I was like that. I read at 3, went onto books which were far too old for me, worried about everybody and everything.

I have a poem I wrote at 4 which contains the line, "Every night I look at the sky until I am dead of the world and I do not know what to do."

Quote Originally Posted by Speranza View Post
    Yes! I was like that. I read at 3, went onto books which were far too old for me, worried about everybody and everything.

I have a poem I wrote at 4 which contains the line, "Every night I look at the sky until I am dead of the world and I do not know what to do."
    Me too!
    At age 9 I had the reading age of a 14 year old.
    I also used to write poems and stories about dying, death, self harm :O murder and homelessness :S very strange. I was definitely a thinker from an early age.

- Emily Brontė

Yep! And I was the same with reading too. My favorite thing was being in my bedroom, alone, with a book. When I was a teenager I used to look after my friends' horses when they went on holiday. I would go on long treks in the countryside and ponder just about everything - still kinds miss being able to do that.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's just who we are. If only I was a bit more skilled and less panicky at the thinking malarky I would make a great philosopher x

Well of course many of the great artists/writers/musicians had MH problems, I think it's something genetic tied in with creativity. Not that I'm a great artist, but I do write a lot! Certainly, if you are thinking a lot about life from a young age, if nobody helps you to look at the good things, you will find a lot to worry about!

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa101 View Post
    Yep! And I was the same with reading too. My favorite thing was being in my bedroom, alone, with a book. When I was a teenager I used to look after my friends' horses when they went on holiday. I would go on long treks in the countryside and ponder just about everything - still kinds miss being able to do that.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's just who we are. If only I was a bit more skilled and less panicky at the thinking malarky I would make a great philosopher x
    I'm the same now, I love going on holiday to the countryside and would pick that over a holiday abroad to as beach anyway.
    When I was a teenager I used to devour book after book, pretty much finishing each one in a few days.

- Emily Brontė

So glad someone else has noticed this pattern in their life - i'm exactly the same! As a child, I willing chose to be alone in my room, reading and thinking about life. Everyone thought there was something wrong with me, even my family, but I don't think it's a bad thing. Some people go through life without even considering life questions and phillisophical stuff - which I think is way more unhealthy!!!

The thing that worries me is that I barely smiled or laughed as a baby or toddler. Surely that's unusual?

- Emily Brontė

Oh god yes. In always remember as a child watching the news and really pondering what the stories meant. I would find the stories very troubling and would often worry that events that I saw could effect people in my life. I also used to be very wary of our house going on fire' after a house a few streets away burned down. I would often get up after my parents had went to bed and make sure that all the electrical sockets were switched off. It used to really annoy my dad as he would have to reset clocks etc. Also when playing with my friends I would always hold back from doing 'boys' things like climbing trees because I always had a feeling of what if....

Hi
    I was the same as a child but I don't worry about that. There's a lot to be said for being quiet and contemplative and taking time out for yourself. It just means you were content which is different to being happy and which I think is far better. Happiness can be over in an instant but contenment can last a lifetime :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information