Thread: What kind of insomnia is this? Please answer, am I dying

What kind of insomnia is this? Please answer, am I dying

I go to bed, and I am stuck in like.. this stupor.. well. more like the state between wakefulness and sleep, and I am dreaming, and by dreaming I mean like...dreaming I went on the price is right, got on, won prizes..like dreams with storylines. When I open my eyes, it has been like 3-4 hours..but I know I was half awake the whole time. I mean, I can hear everything still even. I also developed more myoclonic jerks while falling asleep, and occasionally while awake if sitting still. This has been going on since early April, some days better than others...but have only achieved deep sleep 1 day this month, I know this cause it was the only day I woke refreshed and slept straight through. I can almost pinpoint the day cause I remember I was thinking about my upcoming wedding non stop that night, I couldnt shut it off..so I went on the computer since I couldn't sleep. For days after it was the same story, then eventually I was so exhausted I decided not to think about the wedding, and that was the night I started with these odd sleep issues. I am to a point where my wedding is 10 days away, and I dont even think about it anymore cause I am so worried about my sleep, and worried that my initial thought that it was wedding stress related is a sham cause im not even worried about the wedding anymore and it is still going on!

What is this? should I worry? When it happened and I went back to sleep I dreamt I was in the hospital and they told me i had fatal insomnia and was dying...

Do I have sporadic fatal insomnia?

I am terrified of SFI cause it presents as 'subwakefulness', the inability to move into deep sleep, preudo REM, hallucinations, ataxia, myoclonus, dementia, coma, and death. I know it is rare, like, one of the rarest diseases known to man, but it still exists.

Im to a point where I am going to consider a sleep study, am freaking out, and am hoping, praying, anyone on here can offer me any reassurance..maybe my sort of insomnia is common? Something SFI presents that I dont have ? Anything? Ty!

Re: What kind of insomnia is this? Please answer, am I dying

I don't know about types of insomnia, but to give you a better idea of your sleep use a tracker like your phone (apps, such as 'sleep cycle') or a fitness tracker like a fitbit

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tillyyy View Post
    to give you a better idea of your sleep use a tracker like your phone (apps, such as 'sleep cycle') or a fitness tracker like a fitbit
    Be VERY careful with apps as they enable your anxiety by having your hyper-focus and self monitor. Besides, they're not always the most accurate.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

SFI is incredibly rare. The chances of you having that are an enoumous long shot...but we often have threads about it.

It just sounds like you are not entering the deeper more regenerative stags of sleep. This is just typical with insomnia, not just SFI.

Have you read about Hypnagogia & Hypnopompia? There are many sleep phenomena that are experienced during these normal sleep stages. The brain works quite differently in these stages and it's common to experience all sorts of hallucinations or unusual experiences. This could easily explain what you are saying.

Thread Information