Thread: gum disease - bone graft

gum disease - bone graft

Hi guys has anyone here experienced bone graft implant surgery for their gum disease? I'm having this disease right now, my periodontist wants to implant a bone graft. He said it will become permanent, it will mix together within my tissue, assisting the growth of the receding gum.
    - What is bone graft made from?
    - Is it really safe? My current paranoid is it can cause disease such as cancer, infection, etc.
    - How is your experience for those of you who has done this procedure?

I have searched this topic a bit from the internet, however, any real experiences from you guys will greatly help me to calm down more.

Thank you so much.
    Last edited by exbenzo; 10-08-17 at 23:02.

Re: gum disease - bone graft

I had a bone graft, not for gum disease but because I had a tooth extracted and a dental implant put in. From my "research" online - bone grafting material can be synthetic, or it can be made from cow bone which has been stripped down and purifies so it's nothing more than bone osteoclasts which then regenerate bone. When I went in to the procedure they said I might have to have bone grafting done - and I was scared. However, I didn't know it had occurred until everything was finished and the oral surgeon told me! From what I can tell it's a powdery substance they just put in and it regenerates bone. They said I might feel some grit in my mouth afterwards. Recovery wasn't bad either - there's a few special precautions you have to take after bone grafting - can't chew anything too hard and stuff like that. All and all though it was an un-remarkable experience and I have full confidence you'll be 100% ok! My surgery was in early May and I'm still here and doing fine - no ill effects!

Quote Originally Posted by turtleonaleash View Post
    I had a bone graft, not for gum disease but because I had a tooth extracted and a dental implant put in. From my "research" online - bone grafting material can be synthetic, or it can be made from cow bone which has been stripped down and purifies so it's nothing more than bone osteoclasts which then regenerate bone. When I went in to the procedure they said I might have to have bone grafting done - and I was scared. However, I didn't know it had occurred until everything was finished and the oral surgeon told me! From what I can tell it's a powdery substance they just put in and it regenerates bone. They said I might feel some grit in my mouth afterwards. Recovery wasn't bad either - there's a few special precautions you have to take after bone grafting - can't chew anything too hard and stuff like that. All and all though it was an un-remarkable experience and I have full confidence you'll be 100% ok! My surgery was in early May and I'm still here and doing fine - no ill effects!
    Thank you so much, turteonaleash! Now I finally got a reply from someone who really has done the procedure. This is very valuable to me. Thanks again.

You're welcome. Glad I could help. Best of luck to you! It'll be over before you know it.

Thread Information