Thread: Can anyone recommend a med for me?

Can anyone recommend a med for me?

I've been trying to avoid medication but I don't think I can any more.

In a nutshell, my main symptom is extreme fear, dread and despair relating to my health (who knows if there's a deeper issue. I basically feel like I'm going to die. It started two months ago when a doctor told me I'd need a general anaesthetic. I had what I believed to be a premonition that I would die. I avoided the general anaesthetic in the end but the feeling has affected me so profoundly that I live in near constant terror. Obviously I hope I was wrong and the premonition was some sort of psychotic mental blip.

I'm non functional now. At the flip of a switch I went from happy, social, high performing, to this. I've moved in with my mother. I can barely eat. I don't go out, I don't see anyone, I don't do anything.

I don't have many physical symptoms of anxiety. No panic attacks. I don't feel like I'm dying from a heart attack, I don't shake, I don't lose control, my heart rate doesn't become excessively elevated. Just the awful dread.

Doctor reckons it's extreme health anxiety and OCD. I don't know if that's accurate, or if I have anything else. I have no idea what's wrong with me, but I'm struggling to find other people who can relate to whatever it is I have.

I'm a bit scared of SSRIs and other meds that can increase eye pressure. I'm very short sighted (-7.5) and in my head that's more of a risk.

My posts obviously give more information on my issues but of course you may not have time to read. But I hope you can help me.

Thank you.

Jenny

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Can anyone recommend a med for me?

Your frustration and anxiety is almost palpable, Jenny. You need to make an appointment with your GP ASAP and explain these symptoms so you can discuss your options re meds. There is no good or bad med - only what suits you - and if SSRIs frighten you, perhaps a med like mirtazapine or trazodone could work better.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Hi Jenny,

Sorry to hear this - you're in the right place here as there's plenty of people with experience similar to yours, including me. If you don't want to go the med route, then CBT might be able to help, so get on the list for that ASAP. Is your GP experienced in MH issues?

Some are, but many aren't; many larger GP practices do have at least 1 MH expert, so maybe ask to see them - when you're feeling fragile, I know even making that request can seem a lot to ask. It can also be useful to ask friends you trust to see if they have a doctor who they like and trust, and switch if need be.

You can also ask to see a psychiatrist, but that might take a while assuming you don't have insurance.

In terms of meds, there are plenty other than SSRI. Mirtazapine can be very effective, and will help you with the eating, and can be useful for sleep too, if that's an issue, and that is a NHS 'second-line' treatment after SSRI if SSRI isn't an option. Pregabalin is a very effective med for anxiety too, and can be used in combination with Mirt if need be - it's now off-patent so cheaper and so more available than before too. Some GPs will prescribe some or all of this, if they are experienced - but won't if they aren't.

So it comes back to the doctor issue - talk to your doctor, and find another good one if you aren't getting the help you need. You will find a solution, but in the meantime, look forward to that day.

Good luck and keep in touch,

Best wishes,

Albert

Quote Originally Posted by SmilingAlbert View Post
    Hi Jenny,

Sorry to hear this - you're in the right place here as there's plenty of people with experience similar to yours, including me. If you don't want to go the med route, then CBT might be able to help, so get on the list for that ASAP. Is your GP experienced in MH issues?

Some are, but many aren't; many larger GP practices do have at least 1 MH expert, so maybe ask to see them - when you're feeling fragile, I know even making that request can seem a lot to ask. It can also be useful to ask friends you trust to see if they have a doctor who they like and trust, and switch if need be.

You can also ask to see a psychiatrist, but that might take a while assuming you don't have insurance.

In terms of meds, there are plenty other than SSRI. Mirtazapine can be very effective, and will help you with the eating, and can be useful for sleep too, if that's an issue, and that is a NHS 'second-line' treatment after SSRI if SSRI isn't an option. Pregabalin is a very effective med for anxiety too, and can be used in combination with Mirt if need be - it's now off-patent so cheaper and so more available than before too. Some GPs will prescribe some or all of this, if they are experienced - but won't if they aren't.

So it comes back to the doctor issue - talk to your doctor, and find another good one if you aren't getting the help you need. You will find a solution, but in the meantime, look forward to that day.

Good luck and keep in touch,

Best wishes,

Albert
    Thank you very much, Albert. Yes, I was looking at mirtazapine too. And pregbalin sounds interesting. I guess I'll try the SSRI and if it doesn't help I'll move on to something else. The optician says she'll monitor my eye pressure for me too.

I am seeing a clinical psychologist but even though she's very good I honestly don't feel that it's helping. I just think that my symptoms are so nonstandard and this feeling I have is so strong that whatever she tries on me won't work and she can't understand how this feels.

I just don't understand how I can have anxiety and OCD with no physical symptoms or panic attacks, and how it came on literally in an single moment, and how this one thing can have rendered me nonfunctional ever since. I can't find anyone else who's had something like this.

Do you mind telling me your story?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Your frustration and anxiety is almost palpable, Jenny. You need to make an appointment with your GP ASAP and explain these symptoms so you can discuss your options re meds. There is no good or bad med - only what suits you - and if SSRIs frighten you, perhaps a med like mirtazapine or trazodone could work better.
    Don't mind me, O_O

Never Surrender, Comrade

Sure - I will DM you O-O

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Don't mind me, O_O
    Sorry KK77! I'm going to the GP on Monday. There is so much choice. I guess I'll just start on the SSRI like they want me to and give it a couple of months. I just feel like my symptoms are so peculiar that nothing will work. I'm not even sure I have anxiety. I think maybe I've just foreseen my own death.

I'd love to feel some healthy frustration if I'm honest! I'd take any emotion over this.

Thank you very much Albert for your PM. Food for thought. Yes, to be honest, I have the massively decreased appetite and nausea too. My only physical symptom. I'm pretty badly underweight now.

Thread Information