Thread: alcohol and propanol?

alcohol and propanol?

Hey everyone

First time on here and I cant wait to get reading properly

For now though (and I promise I'll introduce myself at a later date) can anyone give me some sound advice about having a drink whilst taking a daily dose of 80mg propanol?

Ive been on them for a week, finding they are working ok, so far. I have a night out on Saturday - very rare, first time in 6 months (3 kids blah blah) so Im looking forward to a few glasses of wine.

So should I stop taking the meds before? 24 hours before? Will they make me sick / pass out or just woozy. Should I AVOID drinking - last resort?

Any help as soon as possible would be amazing

Thank you xxx

Re: alcohol and propanol?

Hi

I take 80 mg twice a day and have done for years, i have a drink 2 or 3 times a week and alls ok, hope that helps. welcome to NMP xxxxx

Thank you : )

The advice on the internet is so conflicting. Some people say dont do it, others say its fine, some say I will end up being carted off to A+E!

x

My GP doesn't recommend drinking on these but my leaflet said it's fine. I rang the chemist (two to be sure lol) and they both said it's fine to drink on these. I used to take them years ago and used to go out every other weekend with no problems. This time it's a bit different - not sure if that is because I am only 2 weeks into taking them. A glass of wine knocks me out. I'd just take your time and see how you are after each drink. I had a few vinos during the week and was fine but got a bit carried away on Sunday and drank too much and have been paying for it all week. It felt like my anxiety is back with avengence but it is my time of the month so perhaps it's a mixture of that too.

Do you take the instant release ones or the slow release ones?

Enjoy your night out!!

It is fine to drink alcohol but just don't go to excesses

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Well I went out, drank a glass of champagne and after 1/2 glass of red wine I started feeling so sleepy that I couldnt drink anymore!

Oh no!!
    On a positive note though at least it's a cheap night out lol!
    x

v. survived, surviving, survives
    v.intr. 1. To remain alive or in existence.
    2. To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere
    3. To remain functional or usable

v.tr. 1. To live longer than; outlive
    2. To live, persist, or remain usable through
    3. To cope with (a trauma or setback); persevere after

I've read both on the internet and the advice slip that it's ok to drink when on Propanolol. I've also read that alcohol can reduce the effect of propanolol - although I assume this would be more of an issue if you were taking this medication for a heart condition rather than anxiety.

I drink on propanolol occassionally, but I find that if I drink a lot (University night out for example) the hangover the next day is different - brain fog etc which might cause you to have anxiety, especially if you are worried by the sensations. My advice would be go out and have a drink - just not to excess!

What did you do in the end, Sharon?

Thread Information