Thread: Eye Floaters

Eye Floaters

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a silly problem I'm having. I am an ex-health anxiety sufferer. I don't worry about my health much any more as I realise now that I cannot control everything. Lately my health anxiety has been trying to come back, as a result of developing on ongoing constant muscle twitch in my lower eyelid. It didnt progress to health anxiety and I kept everything in check.

But one thing that has come up, is my awareness of my eyes has made me overly aware of my vision. Mostly the presence of floaters in my eyes.

I know they have always been there. I know everyone has them. I have my eyes checked every 2 years and they are fine. I am not concerned about them and I understand what they are and how they are formed etc. My problem is, since my acute awareness of my vision came along, I cant seem to revert to where I was before, when I didnt consciously 'notice' my eye floaters. I feel like I have loads scattered all over my vision and they are really annoying. I dont believe I have anything wrong with my eyes at all. I also do not believe that coincidentally, out of the blue, the same time as I develop a pang of anxiety over my eyes, that I suddenly developed a multitude of floaters. Bearing in mind the nature of health anxiety, its far more likely theyre exactly the same as they always have been, only now I keep focussing on them.

But my question for those of you who have been where I am, is how do I stop noticing them?

Re: Eye Floaters

Hi I have loads of them I seem to suddenly develope them after a major breakdown I had. Not saying same for you, but they are really anoying arnt they lol
    All I can say is they dont seem as bad two years on I was told your brain learns to ignore them somehow. But im def more awhere of them if im tired or had alot of stress or alcohol sorry im not much help x

The Doc has put me back on Fluoxtine (been taking it for a week now) and I think the stress of worring about the side effects has made me more aware of my floaters I have loads at the moment to.

I seemed to develop a few new eye floaters just after an anxiety episode in August 2007. They bothered me a lot at first, and made me feel even more down and anxious. I used to think that if I had this many floaters when I was 23, however many would I have once I reached middle-age, for example. I mentioned the floaters to the optician when I had my next eye test (I'm short-sighted, so have my eyes tested every 2 years), and she said they were nothing to worry about.

Nowadays I don't notice them so much, so I think it's true what Fluff said that your brain eventually learns to ignore them. However, I still notice them sometimes when I'm very tired or under a lot of stress, but they don't bother me anywhere near as much as they used to.

I never thought of that. Thank you everyone. Its logical that your brain 'ignores' them, so its logical that at the moment it my brain 'noticing' them. Ill give ignoring them a go. Ive tried without success, but thats probably because deep down im still focussing and subconsciously looking for them. The more you look, the more you move your eyes, the more they would seem to appear I guess.

Thread Information