Thread: Saw GP today about trapped wind:-(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Saw GP today about trapped wind:-(

I had to give in and go and see my GP today. I have been suffering with IBS symptoms for a while, lots of bubbling low down, flatulance but also recently after eating I get a stabbing pain under left rib/under breast (only on left side), occasional hiccups too... I get no actual heartburn or acid but when my lower abdomen is really windy I do feel sickly sometimes.

My GP examined me, he didn't want to refer me for an endoscopy or a re test for helicobacter, I had it last year and received treatment.

He said the stabbing pain under left breast is trapped wind, it seems to hit worse after a meal. I seem to be reacting to pasta and pizza so I am going to cut back on it. He didn't seem concerned that I had a gastric issue, he thought it was more IBS. He didn't think I needed to worry about the sharp stabbing trapped wind pain.

I can't help but worry why after eating I seem to be hiccuping. My symptoms were more lower down so I knew it was IBS, until this week when I am suffering gastric too.

Gp gave me an examination and doesn't think it is anything at all other than IBS.

Can anyone relate to this pain? Should I relax? He has given me peppermint tablets and he said it should pass, but I have had this trapped on the left for a while now.

Re: Saw GP today about trapped wind:-(

Hi,
    I've had that same thing and I'm probably the windyest person in the world. When it gets trappped it can be agony. The chest pain though I think is a combination of trapped wind, anxiety and slightly inflamed muscle between the ribs and breast bone. There is even a name for it; chondro something or other, can't remember. I thought I had angina or something but my doctor wasn't concerned at all about it. When I get that feeling that something is blocked in my chest and I feel sickly with it, i find that a Motilium tablet usually helps.
    Try not to worry and if you need to let rip just do it. Not worth the pain to save embarassment. lol

Thank you.

Yes it just feels trapped, and it stabs which really hurts, I have had it so much in the past. It has never lasted this long before though? but GP wasn't concerned at all x

Hi Savannah,

I suffer with bad wind and IBS too. I had it tucked under my right ribs once CONSTANTLY for 3 weeks. At the moment i have bad gurgling and popping noises, constant wind from both ways and really bad nausea. I've been to the doctors twice and they are not worried and say its IBS caused by anxiety. They say to exercise, 30 mins a day of something like running x

Thanks Daisy.

So do you have it trapped where you feel it moving around and it occasionally stabs really sharp? It is just under the left ribs/chest.

I was getting mainly low down bubbling and trumping but now my symptoms are also coming from my stomach and I get wind coming up into my throat.

I told GP everything yesterday and after examining me he wasn't concerned and said as I had no actual burning or pain from my stomach it is something that will pass.

I can't help but worry though as it isn't settling, and I worry I might have an ulcer or Helicobacter but he didn't seem to think so.

I have started walking/running recently with my friend.

Yes I do. I'm actually off work today because I feel so nauseous/full of wind/panicky. You're probably swallowing air. I always notice that I have really bubbly white spit too when I have trapped wind. Don't worry, it will soon pass x

Thank you. It is horrible isn't it, it is just stuck sold in my ribs.

I have just taken a windeze tablet, hoping that helps.

I hope you feel better soon x

Thread Information