Thread: Social anxiety, and crippling loneliness ruining my life.

Thumbs down Social anxiety, and crippling loneliness ruining my life.

I'm new to this website, I tried to access the chatrooms but havent been registered long enough, and that I have to post on here, so here I am.
    Im a 22 year old girl that suffers social anxiety, panic disorder and im kinda depressed too.
    And I just really need someone to talk to.
    I'm alone and I'm struggling.

Re: Social anxiety, and crippling loneliness ruining my life.

I'm not a pro but I'm in a similar situation, if you want someone to rant at/chat to you can use my inbox

Have you consulted your GP and asked about therapy? It could help you. It can help to understand more about anxiety & panic and the tools which can be used to work on it.

In some areas there are group sessions and charities that run walk in groups that may be helpful, and from my experience they are non judgemental and you don't even need to really participate as they understand it can be an ordeal for a lot of us.

You've made a positive step opening up online. There are a lot of really nice, supportive people on here who you can talk to.

Hi carukia to NMP

Im a similar age, Im 21 and I suffer from social anxiety, panic disorder and feel constantly depressed and down. I've been suffering with social anxiety and panic since when I started been bullied at secondary school.

I don't get out much now, but when I was at school I never got out at all 99% of the time it was the same old routine, go to school in the week then stay home at the weekends.

Nowadays, I hardly have any friends and I avoid going to social places like restaurants, cinema, parties etc. I can't even get on a bus very often and I can't use the phone very much or answer the phone at all, or I will sometimes have a panic attack.

When either family or friends of my family invite us over for a get-to-gether (or whatever its called ) I never go, I get very anxious of meeting new people or seeing someone I've not seen in a while.

I get a feeling of guilt that if I saw them, they might think 'what are you doing here ?, not showing up before when we've invited you'. Then I worry they might think I was been ungrateful because I didn't go last time.

Maybe Im just a quiet and unsociable person, I've always been very shy and probably will for the rest of my life.

I've always shyed away from people even before my problems started at secondary school. Of course my problems are making it worse for me though.

As Woody Allen once said

“I'm not anti-social. I'm just not social.”
    ― Woody Allen

I hope you don't think Im calling you unsociable, I was referring to myself.

I hope you can get the help you need

If you haven't already, maybe you could go and have a chat with your doctor and see what they suggest is the best option. You'll find NMP a great help

You're not alone
    Last edited by Ryan92; 24-04-14 at 16:00.

If you can face it I'd get therapy privately as it's much better because they are catering to your needs and not just one programme that's meant to fit all , as they do in the NHS. On the NHS I had a therapist who could just about understand English and would always tell me I should be grateful for the things I have in life not something you want to hear whilst down in the dumps , especially when you wasn't ungrateful in the first place. I get lonely too as I spend most of my time alone but I've been blessed with a beautiful fiancé , yay , still it does get lonely whilst she ain't here. I do have hobbies that keep me entertained I like to read about history , religion , science just stuff that keeps the mind fit and healthy by thinking but not too much , it's not good to think too much. Good luck. P.s I know there is going to be someone who says 'that was your experience with therapy on the NHS' yes exactly , so therefore I'm expressing what I thought about it. There's always one though who has to try and be smart

I share your pain, I'm in a similar situation with social anxiety, leading to depression. The loneliness gets me down so much sometimes but the worst thing is you almost become used to it and just accept it! Good post by RJ192 up there!

Thread Information