Thread: panic attacks at work and on trains

panic attacks at work and on trains

I nearly had a panic attack at work today. I had all the symptoms, hard to breathe, fear, shakiness, anxiety, weepy, wanting to escape.

I work in a small public library, and today it was especially busy and crowded. I found this overwhelming, there was also an emotional trigger that I won't go into here.

What I'm asking here is whether anyone else has had to deal with panic attacks at work?

Today I went and sat in the staffroom for a few minutes with my head on my knees and my arms hanging and breathed. It helped a bit but not completely.

I also verge on panic attacks in crowded trains. (I have to get the tube or train to work.)That's hard too because then I cannot bear anyone close to me and have in the past lashed out physically or verbally once or twice.

Any ideas? Please?

thanks,

Katie

Hi katie,

I have not had any panic attacks at work but do on trains and buses. It is quite horrible and i usually try EFT which a hypnotherapist showed me. It involves tapping different pressure points and saying something positive at the same time. I was on a flight recently (which is my idea of absolute hell) and this technique did not really work but my partner did not help.. he thought i was mental sitting there tapping my head... it really upset me. But it should work in less extreme situtaions.

Actually mental is a poor choice of word... but I do feel like I am cracking up somethimes especailly around my friends and partner... I even started feeling agrophobic... there has been few times in a pub or cinema where i just feel hemmed in and panicky.....

Hi all
    Katie; I used to get panic attacks all the time at work - sitting in an office typing and all the time with the ghastly symptoms. What can I say, just try to use any coping techniques that you know. Good luck.

Rockweasel; do you find that the EFT really does help? Id be interested to know.

Love to all
    Yvonne

Y Goble

Rosepetal

You did the right thing in the staff room have you tried rescue remedy ?

In packed trains most unanxious people feel hemmed in and physically restricted and if you dwell on the thoughts that follow and follow them you will think about being trapped and thsi inturn will lead the body to think it is trapped now and thus react accordingly.
    Breath control, self reassurance and controlled imagery helps.

How Do You Do The Breathing
    Breathing.. wow
    Breathing Techniques
    CONTROLLED BREATHING
    Working to get better, have a few Q's to ask...

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Take your bottled water too and maybe put some Rescue Remedy in it. Sip this slowly and drop your shoulders and tell yourself you are ok, its all fine you are perfectly safe.

I have had a few near misses lately in the crowded Christmas shops and the feeling of wanting to run out of the shop has been incredible. It is amazing though how easily distracted I am when chatting - I think this is part of the thing of liking company when I am out, so I can change my thought set by conversation.

Is it possible for you to talk to other people when you are travelling or is this not the done thing. I've always been a chatterbox and can start a conversation pretty well anywhere, which has really been a bonus for distraction purposes.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Hi Katie, I have had some really bad panic attacks at work. I have a high profile job as personal assistant to 57 councillors of our Local Authority and I can start with panic attacks in the middle of a committee meeting or taking dictation. I'm also based in our Local Government Library with officers coming and going all day, so its very busy. Some people have seen me shaking violently, struggling for breath and pacing the corridor talking to myself to try and calm down! I've had to tell my councillors who come in on a daily basis about my panic attacks and if I abruptly run off they know i'm going to our occupational health unit, who have been brilliant. I just go and see the nurse, she takes my pulse and blood pressure and assures me its just a panic attack and nothing more serious (had this thing that I was having a heart attack every time). I've got my rescue remedy spray and Kalms as well, but sometimes i'm not in a position to take it; its quite embarrassing in a committee room full of councillors and members of the public. I keep telling myself "pretend its just an asthma spray; people wouldn't look twice then" but more often than not I find myself trying to breathe through it, even if I do sound like a nuisance prank caller!! I do find though, that the best thing to do is to walk about. I know its hard in a confined space, sometimes I just walk on the spot, looks pathetic but makes me feel better. Good luck with it, Les, x

Thread Information