Thread: Been a year since my breakdown

Been a year since my breakdown

It's been a year since my breakdoan which I have now fully recovered from but I still never really understand what happened. That day I thought I had died and I spent 8 days in hospital. They said it was a manic episode or acute stress reaction.

After i suffered lack of toilet movements and sore backs and felt down for nothing. All this passed but I ever understood why it affected me in this way?

Before it happened I was worried about bills and my job and one day I felt I couldn't cope anymore and I wasn't sleeping for a few days then the breakdown happened. When in hospital I had lots of religious thoughts like I had been punished or something and that's why it happened I never understood why I had these thoughts either. I also questioned the meaning of life etc.

So yes I'm back to normal now but why did I experience all this one day I was fine next day not?

Re: Been a year since my breakdown

Chemical imbalance sounds like.

Anxiety causes all our what ifs but also makes ask why, but there is never an answer.

I had a major meltdown in February. As I look back on it, I realized it was just not one event. I had been under a lot of stress, a job I was not happy with, college, my children, etc. I too wondered why this happened, my brain just couldn't deal with everything I had going on in my head. We do get better. Once we accept the issues we were worried about will pass. I am working on taking one thing at a time and monitor my thoughts and stay focused in the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by snowghost57 View Post
    I had a major meltdown in February. As I look back on it, I realized it was just not one event. I had been under a lot of stress, a job I was not happy with, college, my children, etc. I too wondered why this happened, my brain just couldn't deal with everything I had going on in my head. We do get better. Once we accept the issues we were worried about will pass. I am working on taking one thing at a time and monitor my thoughts and stay focused in the moment.
    thats about the time my 5th breakdow started , 13month and still in its grip. 6 med changes 5 detoxs , my body is a toxic waste tip of failed meds . if not for my large family i would be dead by my own hand years ago. its not cool living like this up and down , trigered , bad meds. good meds that work for 1 month then poop , life is grim for a fallen angel i even wear the wing of a fallen angel wround my neck. see mt avatar
    Last edited by braindead; 08-05-17 at 14:49.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    It's been a year since my breakdoan which I have now fully recovered from but I still never really understand what happened. That day I thought I had died and I spent 8 days in hospital. They said it was a manic episode or acute stress reaction.

After i suffered lack of toilet movements and sore backs and felt down for nothing. All this passed but I ever understood why it affected me in this way?

Before it happened I was worried about bills and my job and one day I felt I couldn't cope anymore and I wasn't sleeping for a few days then the breakdown happened. When in hospital I had lots of religious thoughts like I had been punished or something and that's why it happened I never understood why I had these thoughts either. I also questioned the meaning of life etc.

So yes I'm back to normal now but why did I experience all this one day I was fine next day not?
    I had something so similar in August following a miscarriage. I was coping ok, then just lost it. I can't move on from it. I will say that I wasn't hospitalised but I might as well be. I can't wash, can barely eat, can barely get out of bed. I'm staying with my mother who is basically doing everything for me.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post

Ah, sounds similar to me, minus the hospital part.

Had a breakdown last November, and let me tell you, lack of sleep is the catalyst. I swear it is! It’s that little bit that pushes you right over the edge.

One night of no sleep had me in such a state the next day, panic attacks, breakdown, hardly eating, emotional, etc...

When I got home I had a lot of religious thoughts, very spiritual stuff, I think I was just so shocked I had nowhere to turn to. I’m not kidding when I thought I would die. , I said this will kill me. It was like drowning and I was struggling to keep my head up. It was like a bomb went off in my head and I was stumbling through the wreckage trying to put my life back together. It didn’t help that I could hardly sleep and got bad OCD. Those were very bad days, I had real bad depression for awhile. Just wanted to disappear.

Some say chemical imbalance, some say, it’s just a stress overload and the perfect storm. Could be both and it might be neither. Sometimes it’s just how we are wired and it’s in our DNA!

After all this, I went digging for answers and after taking a DNA test and running it through a service called Prometheus I found out I had the “worrier” gene. Some get the “warrior” gene(think Athletes, etc..) and some get a third type. The results even show what anti depressants and anxiety meds you’d be most likely to respond to. Armed with this info, you can accomplish a lot.

So some of us literally are wired in a way that might cause this, it’s not all bad, I am very adept at my job which requires lots of critical thinking and analysis. The bad part is, that same critical thinking can be directly inwardly. I have a one track mine, I can focus intensely on one thing and recently it’s been myself.

For me, understanding why I am this way has given me some relief. It’s also good to know that I’m not going crazy, it’s just how I’m wired.

Above all else, the most important thing I found during my crisis was, take it one day at a time. When I was not sleeping for up to a week, I just said, one more day, one more day... I eventually got through it when the fear of not sleeping left me. After a week of hardly any sleep, I just stopped caring and let it all go. That night I slept like a rock.

So Phil, id say that there is no easy answer, rather, just lots of stress and a propensity towards feeling anxious in the first place. Best thing you can do is keep the stress down and take it slow, one day at a time.
    Last edited by Juggar; 16-10-17 at 07:51.

Thread Information