Thread: Adult, hole in the heart?

Adult, hole in the heart?

I had a stroke a few weeks back and am now having
    Tests on my heart, had an echocardiogram a couple of weeks back and they found I have a hole in my heart.
    I'm 61 and recently have been breathless, never mentioned it to consultant as I put it down to smoking for so long ( stopped 2yrs ago), I wanted to ask has anyone else had or know of an adult diagnosed with a hole?.and what was the treatment.
    I have to have another bubble echocardiogram in November to see how big the hole is , I'm just hoping there is some sort of treatment for this !
    Thanks.

Re: Adult, hole in the heart?

Hi, i have not posted on here for ages but saw your post and thought I would reply. I had a stroke in March, I was 55, never smoked. It was mild and I recovered quickly. They did the bubble test and found i had a small hole in the heart (PFO). Apparently appprox, 25% of the population have this with no ill effects and there is differences of opinion as to whether it causes strokes or not, there appears to be no hurry to close them, I think it might depend on how big it is. If they don't close, they usually treat with blood thinners. That's my understanding anyway. I currently have a Reveal Device to see if there is anything wrong with heart rhythm, otherwise, I am well and have been back at work almost straight away. It's hard not to worry but I trust the medicines are doing their work. Best wishes.

Im 26, and they found a PFO with me, though a very very small one, I've had some odd symptoms that most would attribute to anxiety like slight breathlessness and weakness and vertigo easily...I was told by 2 cardiologists and atleast 1 other doctor that this pfo was literally nothing, 30% of the population has it, and mine was super super small and will never cause a symptom. But I go online and I see people swearing up and down it was having an effect on them, so its been very confusing for me, and its always been something in the back of my mind.

The lady across the road had a hole in heart for a long time. she had it fixed and is fine. I should say she is in late fifties.

Thread Information