Thread: New here, suffering badly with panic and fear of dying! Would love some support.

New here, suffering badly with panic and fear of dying! Would love some support.

Hey NoPanic friends.

I'd really love some support from the community of brave panic and anxiety sufferers on this journey with me.

For the last two months, panic attacks have been taking over my life. I've always suffered from some anxiety and had the occasional wave of panic, but not like this - it's another level!

I'm not sure exactly what triggered it, but it's always something about my body, and that am I going to die suddenly. It may have been because I few long-haul in December and have always been paranoid about DVT as my mum had one. But Also, my mum is very ill, but she has been for several years - I'm not sure. Does anyone else identify with this fear of suddenly dying?

I'm trying everything - CBT, Somatic Experiencing, regular therapy (I am actually training to be a therapist so I always try the therapy route!) plus my GP has now, after checking out my heart, lungs, etc (I am 32 and physically fine) prescribed Sertraline 50mg. Nothing is helping yet, and I guess I need to know that there is hope for the future.

I dread to think that I will go on like this for ages - sometimes my brain tells me I will be like this forever, but I don't think that's true.

Sending much love and support to the community here.

Nikki x

Re: New here, suffering badly with panic and fear of dying! Would love some support.

Hello!

I'm 30 and similar to you - I have been suffering for the past 2 months and trust me - you CAN make it better. My anxiety also stems from health worries and before I even realised I had HA I also had a long haul flight (I itched my leg on the flight a lot with false nails on) has bruises on my leg and was convinced I had DVT. I didn't, I'm actually really really healthy.

I don't worry about dying so much as about suffering - and now look where I am - I AM suffering. You can change this, though, we are lucky that we have not had anxiety for long and we have a good chance of not letting these intrusive thoughts get ingrained.

I have just downloaded Paul David's book ''At Last A Life'' and it has really helped to change my mindset, literally overnight. I would reccommend you try reading it. Just google it. I am not saying medication is wrong but the doctors do seem to throw pills at the things (anxiety) they don't understand. You have only been feeling like this for a little while, I do feel you have the chance to work on recovering without medication.

You will NOT be like this forever if you take the right steps. Paul's book will help you do that.(other books will too, his just struck a chord with me.)

xx

“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.”

Thread Information