Thread: Multiple Palpitations

Multiple Palpitations

Hey all,

I’m usually on the health anxiety section of the forum, but I didn’t actually realize that there was an entire section based on my current worry! Heart Palps are something I have experienced my whole life never really worried about them, until around Thanksgiving. After coming home my heart was literally thudding, it would be best...thud...beat....thud...beat....thud it was like that for hours, my chest was tight it hurt to breathe...so I took myself to the ER at 1am. Had blood tests a chest x ray and a ECG done. Told me everything was normal and that it was probably just from having such a big meal. Two days later the same thing happened again, took myself to the ER again this time they caught the thuds on he ECG and on the monitor. Docs came in and said that these were normal and that no matter how much I got not to worry about them that they were benign. I have been told my cholesterol is high (genetic) so heart attack, cardiac arrest, and stroke are heavy on my mind. Now these palps happen after just getting out of bed and getting a glass of water. As soon as I lay down the pvc or palp one after the other after the other happens for about 5 min. I try not to worry because there are no other symptoms except the thud in my chest, but now I’m scared to exercise, or do anything physical because I feel like I’m going to drop dead. I have had countless blood tests heart work ups ECGs, I just don’t know why I can’t be reassured that when these palps happen that I’m not going to drop dead. Anyone else have this happen to them??

Re: Multiple Palpitations

Hi can relate to your feelings. I have had these on and off for years but when they come back there's still the panic. The anxiety levels of course go sky high and so the vicious circle starts. I am back on propranolol and it does help but doesn't clear everything. Maybe talk to your doctor to see if you can have something to help calm you. It's a horrible feeling and not an easy one to handle. I know we have to try and train our minds to be positive but not easy. Stay strong.

I agree. Heart papls evoke panic and fear in the brain each and every-time they happen, despite what any doctor tells you. I was DX'd with anxiety and panic in my early 20's. I am in my mid 50's now. I was put on benzos and have been on them for 30 years. I am now trying to get off valium due to tolerance and the heart palps are really troublesome. I constantly think I am about to drop dead of a heart attack each time they happen. I also have a horrible cardiac phobia. I am also going through pure mental hell trying to get off benzos. My chest feels tight 24/7 and I have pain in the center of my back right where my heart should be located in the front. Hang in there my friend. You are not alone.

Thanks so much for your responses! Season, I was put on propranolol when my anxiety first started I. May because I constantly had a high heart rate (I’ve always had one, nothing extreme just mid to high 90s. And I didn’t take well to them at all, made me feel like I was having a heart attack, so I have Valium, I haven’t taken it in a long time (excluding my MRI last Friday lol). I was prescribed that i July and I’ve taken maybe three since then. It is really hard to train your brain to tell you you are ok.

Chronic911 cardiac phobia has been my down fall the past month and a half, I too fear that when my palps happen that that will be the time I have a heart attack, which usually brings on a panic attack or the start of one, the. I calm myself down and try and sleep, because they always happen right before I go to sleep which scares me even more, I fear I won’t wake up in the morning. But I’m just trying to stay stron and go with way the doctors say! But it’s always nice to know that I’m not alone, because anxiety sure makes you feel like you are.

Thread Information