Thread: CART: Breathing exercise

CART: Breathing exercise

Source of information

A new treatment for the feeling of suffocation that accompanies a panic attack focuses on getting patients to breathe less.

The treatment, which involves a technique for altering your breathing, is more effective at alleviating both short-term panic disorder symptoms and hyperventilation than traditional psychological therapy, and it may make people less prone to panic attacks in the first place, said study leader Alicia Meuret of Southern Methodist University in Dallas.

msnbc.msn.com/id/40811843/ns/health-behavior/t/stave-panic-attacks-dont-take-deep-breath
    Anyone have the exact details of the breathing technique?

Re: CART: Breathing exercise

It says on that link that it is:

The treatment is called capnometry-assisted respiratory training, or CART.

So maybe Google that.

I have never heard of it

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Never heard of it, but my therapist recently told me not to focus too much on my breathing during a panic as this can fuel the hyperventilating and escalate the physical symptoms of the panic. I have tried this...not easy as it goes against everything I learned a few years back...but seems to make sense and I have had some success in using this method plus just allowing the panic to take it's course while telling myself it will subside naturally anyway.....seems logical, but not always easy to put into practise mid panic!!

Kitti

Hi There
    A few years ago, I was having therapy for panic attacks, and my therapist was very good.

One thing he did teach me that has been very helpful, was how to breathe to STOP a panic attack. And it really works!

It can be very awkward at first to get into the swing of it, but once you master it, you end up doing it without even thinking about it.

Ok, maybe try it first as he made me:
    Sit in a chair and just get yourself comfortable.
    Rest one of your hands on the centre of your chest
    so you can feel your chest going up and down when you breathe.
    When you inhale, as you can feel, your chest comes up and out.
    When you breathe out, your chest drops again.

Ok, here comes the hard bit:

Instead of breathing from your chest, you gotta breathe from your stomach!
    Yes it sounds crazy, but it works!

Ok, keep your hand on your chest, so you can make sure it doesn't move up and down anymore.
    So now when you breathe in, keep your chest still, and push your stomach OUT with the breath.
    As you inhale, push the stomach right out.
    Then as you breathe out, let your stomach relax and go down.
    All the time, keeping one hand on your chest to make sure your chest isn't moving, and you are breathing properly from the stomach.

Now here's a thing: You CANNOT panic whilst breathing this way! It is truly impossible. And you cannot hyperventilate.

So as long as you keep practicing, before you know it, you will be breathing like this naturally, and it really does work.
    The best time to practice, is just as you are totally relaxed and lying in bed about to sleep ... Get the breathng pattern going, keep your hand on your chest, and you will find you end up breathing this way whilst sleeping and wake up very refreshed and relaxed!

One other thing he told me to do which really freaked me out but proved a point.
    As I sat there, he said Ok, sit there right now in front of me, and make yourself have a panic attack ....
    I COULDN'T DO IT!!!!
    That was strange to say the least, as anything, anywhere as you all know, a panic attack can hit. But, because he asked me to do it there and then, it just wouldn't happen!
    So next time you feel like you are going to have a panic attack, tell yourself, Out loud if it helps, to have one ... You will find that your brain will not understand that command, and flunk ...

Hope this is of help to people. I have been a sufferer for many years, so I know how hard life can be.
    God Bless ... Mandy

Quote Originally Posted by songwriter95 View Post
    Hi There
    A few years ago, I was having therapy for panic attacks, and my therapist was very good.

One thing he did teach me that has been very helpful, was how to breathe to STOP a panic attack. And it really works!

It can be very awkward at first to get into the swing of it, but once you master it, you end up doing it without even thinking about it.

Ok, maybe try it first as he made me:
    Sit in a chair and just get yourself comfortable.
    Rest one of your hands on the centre of your chest
    so you can feel your chest going up and down when you breathe.
    When you inhale, as you can feel, your chest comes up and out.
    When you breathe out, your chest drops again.

Ok, here comes the hard bit:

Instead of breathing from your chest, you gotta breathe from your stomach!
    Yes it sounds crazy, but it works!

Ok, keep your hand on your chest, so you can make sure it doesn't move up and down anymore.
    So now when you breathe in, keep your chest still, and push your stomach OUT with the breath.
    As you inhale, push the stomach right out.
    Then as you breathe out, let your stomach relax and go down.
    All the time, keeping one hand on your chest to make sure your chest isn't moving, and you are breathing properly from the stomach.

Now here's a thing: You CANNOT panic whilst breathing this way! It is truly impossible. And you cannot hyperventilate.

So as long as you keep practicing, before you know it, you will be breathing like this naturally, and it really does work.
    The best time to practice, is just as you are totally relaxed and lying in bed about to sleep ... Get the breathng pattern going, keep your hand on your chest, and you will find you end up breathing this way whilst sleeping and wake up very refreshed and relaxed!

One other thing he told me to do which really freaked me out but proved a point.
    As I sat there, he said Ok, sit there right now in front of me, and make yourself have a panic attack ....
    I COULDN'T DO IT!!!!
    That was strange to say the least, as anything, anywhere as you all know, a panic attack can hit. But, because he asked me to do it there and then, it just wouldn't happen!
    So next time you feel like you are going to have a panic attack, tell yourself, Out loud if it helps, to have one ... You will find that your brain will not understand that command, and flunk ...

Hope this is of help to people. I have been a sufferer for many years, so I know how hard life can be.
    God Bless ... Mandy

Nice tips Mandy, thanks!

It was breathing that helped me in the end also so any technique that can help calm the mind through relaxing and breathing is good imo!

I found while dealing with my panic that when I was very mindful of my breathing, I was breathing WAY too heavily and deeply. So I had to consciously "lighten" my breathing to shallow. This helped somehow. I think breathing patterns are indeed a part of the panic process, and altering them can make a difference.

Thanks alot Mandy, that was a great help. Btw, I am not trying to plug or advertise this breathing technique. I came across it while searching the Web. I've spent hours searching for the actual technique, but it's simple not available. I've emailed the university responsible for the full details, but I have received no reply as of yet. In normal situations I find the accepting and facing the panic usually is the best approach, but at certain points in time - such as driving - this is not so practical, and I think a more forceful form of combating hyperventilation through breathing techniques would help me more. Thanks for the replies.

Found more info, for those interested.

Unfortunately, CART is not yet available to the public. Dr. Meuret and others are hoping to devise a capnometry machine for at-home use, but it will take time. Until then, here are her suggestions on how to breathe shallowly, which will help decrease panic and anxiety...
    Never breathe deeply when you start to feel anxious. Although it feels counterintuitive, concentrate on taking shallow breaths only.
    Breathe only through your nose—this will make it easier to keep your breath shallow.
    Breathe from the abdomen but so lightly that you experience almost no movement in your belly or anywhere else in your body.
    Time yourself—try to take nine breaths per minute, which is somewhat slower than normal breathing.
    Dr. Meuret had one more bit of conventional wisdom to lay to rest. If you find yourself hyperventilating, do not breathe into a paper bag—not only does it not help with panic, but the oxygen deprivation that results from it can be dangerous for people with lung or cardiac disease. Instead, try the techniques mentioned above.
    highenergyforlife.com/articlelist/34-general-health/122-anxious-dont-breathe-deeply

I would not worry about the "way" you breathe as a precaution to prevent panic attacks. Just breathe normally like you always do and live on.

Even if the CART method works it still is going to affect your lungs negatively if you are constantly breathing slow. If it is for yoga for a few minutes, fine. But all the time? No.

Thread Information