Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eustachian Tube Dysfunction causing severe pain?? so worried, can't find any info

Eustachian Tube Dysfunction causing severe pain?? so worried, can't find any info

Hello,

I made a post about a week ago about about ear pain that I had developed in both ears. This pain is moderate-severe and mostly constant. I also have some ringing in both ears and every once in a while I feel some pressure. But mostly just terrible pain. I went to an urgent care doc who said he didn't see an infection but gave me antibiotics anyway. These didn't help so I went to my primary care doc yesterday who was convinced it was Eustachian tube dysfunction/inflammation caused by a viral infection (I've had mild congestion but otherwise haven't been that sick) and told me it should go away in 1-3 weeks.

However, when I look up Eustachian tube dysfunction everyone talks about hearing loss and a feeling of fullness in the ear - which I have none of - and barely mention pain - which is my primary symptom and is just awful. Anyone with experience with this, or anything who can make me feel better? Waiting this out is seriously no fun, especially when I'm not even convinced about what I have. I just feel crazy.

Re: Eustachian Tube Dysfunction causing severe pain?? so worried, can't find any info

I've had that before. That's why I responded to your post the last time.

Again, they gave me the analgesic ear drops. Did you ask for anything for the pain?

Re: Eustachian Tube Dysfunction causing severe pain?? so worried, can't find any info

You had the same extreme pain with Eustachian tube distinction without infection? My doc said that no drops would help because it's all in my middle ear, not the outside. She said Tylenol and Advil only

I had an infection with mine. And I had hearing loss for about a week.

I've also had bad ear pain with sinus infections and ear infections. I've had bad sinus issues since I was a kid. I have a deviated septum.

They are benzocaine-otic ear drops, and they sure take the pain away for me.

I'm sorry to hear about those ear problems :(. I'm just worried because my ear pain isn't from infection and it isn't from sinus issues (I don't have any) so I don't know what is causing it

Well the likelihood that it's anything else than what the doctor said is very low.

If I were you, I'd ask for the ear drops, and then wait 3 weeks. If you still have issues after 3 weeks, then you need to follow up.

Like I told you before, the problem is not in my outer ear so drops aren't going to work.

Does anyone else have experience with ear pain like this?

Eustacian tube dysfunction is the first step to an ear infection. If it isn't opening properly, pressure isn't equalizing in your ear on either side of the tympanic membrane (ear drum). This will cause negative pressure and yes, pain. Eventually this leads to your inner ear secreting mucous, which then can become infection.

Viral infections (like a cold) can definitely cause this because it messes up the way the tube opens. This is also why children get more ear infections - their tubes are not properly developed and don't always open the way they should.

It's painful and no fun, but totally possible to have the symptoms you are describing. I'd definitely stay on top of it and go back in in a week or two if it doesn't get any better just to make sure that it hasn't progressed to infection.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thanks Poppy,
    It's nice to know that at least these symptoms are at least possibility, as pain hasn't really been presented as an options. It's just been draining to have such constant, strong ear pain and otherwise feel pretty okay. Popping my ears is possible and doesn't really change anything. I just really want this to get better, and it's hard to believe the doctor that it's going to because I don't quite believe the diagnosis. Thank you for the information and suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Nutation View Post
    Thanks Poppy,
    It's nice to know that at least these symptoms are at least possibility, as pain hasn't really been presented as an options. It's just been draining to have such constant, strong ear pain and otherwise feel pretty okay. Popping my ears is possible and doesn't really change anything. I just really want this to get better, and it's hard to believe the doctor that it's going to because I don't quite believe the diagnosis. Thank you for the information and suggestion
    Sure My first undergrad degree was in speech pathology and we learned a LOT about ear infections in my audiology courses. Even had to write an essay about the entire process. Fun! Haha.

When you're in the thick of illness, it's hard to believe it will ever get better. It will, trust me. For now, do what you can to manage the pain.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information