Thread: Really panicking about change in life - please help :(

Really panicking about change in life - please help :(

So I am starting a new job next week and will be travelling a lot. I keep thinking I can't do this and keep getting panic attacks. :( I should be excited but I keep floating between brief moments of calm and a huge struggle to not lose my head entirely :(((

Please help... has anyone had anything similar and overcome it?

Re: Really panicking about change in life - please help :(

Hi Dorothy,
    A new job is stressful for anyone but if you are prone to anxiety it feels much worse. Well done on getting the job, I assume you had an interview and not only coped but also impressed them. You can do this but be kind to yourself and above all prepared. What is it that is particularly worrying you?

Aside from the normal worries I would have about my boss not liking me or about making mistakes, I worry about feeling homesick since I'm going to be away a lot. I have always wanted to travel for work but now I've managed to work myself up into a panic where I feel almost like I'm being forced to leave and I fear I'll be sad and homesick and also I fear about how I'll cope with travelling, and finally in acute moments my anxiety tries to convince me I made a mistake and that I'm screwing up my career.

Meanwhile everybody around me is super excited about me and say they wish they had the same chance. ��

I know I'm catastrophising and I need an external point of view in order to bring this back to normality... ��

I know how your feeling. Travel really makes my anxiety and panic spike too. I'm
    Leaving for a short trip on Monday and already starting to have increased anxiety and I feel like I'm on the verge of a panic attack at the moment. I have the same fear of being homesick while away and not being in my safe zone when panic hits. Just remember that anxiety HATES any kind of change - no matter if it's good or bad. That's what tends to keep us stuck from having a fufilling life and moving forward in the direction we should be heading towards. I wish I had techniques that would help you overcome this, but i just started seeing a therapist again and I'm also trying to find ways that will prevent the anxiety from ruling my life. Just want to let you know that you're not alone. I'll be in the chat room for a bit if you need someone to talk to. Take care!

Hi Dorothy,
    Travelling is a big deal when you have anxiety, and I find it helps to give yourself a focus. Are they towns/cities you are travelling to? I'm into history so I would be reading up a bit about the places and any sights there even if you only have time to drive past them (hopefully there's time to visit though) If you don't like history find out what shops are there and which are worth a trip. Staying in a hotel? Look and see if they have a spa service to treat yourself.
    I know it's a work trip but that can itself make you feel pressured so planning these distractions can really help.
    Do the same for the journey itself if you find that difficult, a good book, iPad/smartphone with games or movies on it, boiled sweets, a bottle of water, I like a bottle of essential oil to sniff also - lavender or a "de stress" blend.
    You won't screw up your career! And in a lifetime a career is only part of it, elderly folk don't look back and think of that great day in the office or meeting they had! But memories of these trips and what you saw/did? That will be something worth remembering

Thank you Eva83 and sorry I couldn't be in the chat, I only saw your message til later.

And thank you Candyknitter for your advice,it's really useful. I guess right now I know I need to stop generalising and catastrophising - I should look at the bigger picture but anxiety only wants to show me the challenge ahead and is continuously presenting me with a list of things I should worry about... as we know it does. I really wish I was able to see things more objectively.

Thread Information