Thread: EMOTIONS

EMOTIONS

Hello all just wondering if any one has felt the same i seem to be worrying about worrying or how to stop avoiding my emotions it started when i tried not to let any thing bother me worried any thing might make my anxiety worse know i dont know what to think about any thing sorry does any one understand this hopefully someone does

Re: EMOTIONS

yes perfectly,,i once wrote on here about being robbed of all emotion,, like yourself i tried not to allow myself to feel anything,,as each emotion can trigger nerves or panic, even happiness,,but i soon learnt you cannot control how you feel,,,and no way should you,,just realise the panic your feeling is because of stress not emotions,,

Re: EMOTIONS

I know it feels rather unpleasant and overwhelming at times, but although our instinct makes us recoil as a first reaction when it comes to anxiety and the emotions that come with it, this is the worst thing we can do. It only makes the emotions stronger and the anxiety worse, as our brain registers this recoiling - or avoidance - as a real reason to be anxious, and will associate similar emotions and situations with danger from thereon. This is called a 'cognitive distortion'.

The only way to counteract this is NOT to follow one's initial instinct, not to avoid, but actually allow oneself to feel what one is feeling, and purposefully remain in the situations one is in, in order for the unpleasantness and anxiety to subside. Because it will subside, as soon as you stare back.

If you want be rid of the fear of the fear, and all the associated unpleasant emotions, there is only one way to overcome this: Go with it, to ride it like a wave, and thus give yourself (and your brain!) the opportunity to realise there is no real danger at all. Or, in short: Feel the fear - and do it anyway!

Thread Information