Thread: Citalopram and Sleep

Citalopram and Sleep

Hi

I have been on Citalopram for 4 months and was on Zopiclone sleeping pills for a while. I have been off the sleeping pills for at least two months and have seen a slow improvement in sleeping. I am able to go to sleep and get a few hours and am then dozing from then on. Not ideal but a step in the right direction. Unfortunately I am increasingly finding that after the first little bit of sleep when I wake up I can't go back to sleep. This seems to be increasing the depression and making me very very low. I am currently taking Citalpram in the evenings as when I first took it, it made me very drowsy so seemed to help a little with sleeping. What are other people's experiences? Is there any benefit to moving the time of day that I take this to the morning? Mostly these are prescribed to be taken in the morning, I have no idea why unless they potentially cause sleeplessness.

Many Thanks in advance.

I take citalopram and was told to take them in the morning.Not sure about anyone else.Maybe you should change it for the morning.

Ellen XX

Hi

My sleep pattern is so messed up since being on citalopram.

I doze off in the day, and then cant sleep at night. For the past year my average sleep a night is about 4 hours.

I did find having mine at night was slightly better for me than the mornings. My doctor said it was ok to take at night if i preferred.

I have recently reduced my dose as i am coming off them and have found that my sleep is slowly returning to normal.

love mandie

thanks Mandie, tried this out last night and not a great night but got up feeling ok today, and took the Cital this morning instead. we'll see how this progresses. I am similar in that I get 4-6 hours at best a night and have found I'm out of it the next day. Its a strange paradox, sleep and mood, and I'm not sure I understand everything thats going on with me. Today I feel fine despite not a great night. Anyone with any tips would be great. I am trying to do a run at lunchtimes and swim at other times. It seems that the way your day starts sets up the whole day so if I can begin to get that nailed then other things will fall into place. As ever patience is required.

Thread Information