Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Endoscopy, do they put anxiety sufferers to sleep?

Re: Endoscopy, do they put anxiety sufferers to sleep?

They give you the option of just the throat spray to numb your throat or the sedation, they give you a sedative which is just enough to relax you but not enough to really make you unconscious (its enough to take away your anxiety though as i had mine done when mine was at its height), they then put a mouth guard in your mouth to prevent you biting down on the scope and then they do the procedure the scope looks at your oesophagus, stomach and into the top of your duodenum, they will be looking for signs of reflux or ulcers, they will probably to a clo test to check for h pylori and if this is positive they will commence you on triple therapy which is usually losec and 2 types of antibiotics to iradicate the bacteria (nothig to worry about) they may also take biopsies but not always,it depends onlevel of inflammation if any present or if they find polyps. I can honestly say that when i started nursing 24 years ago hardly any one had procedures like these carried out but as equipment has evolved and modern scope units have developed a lot more people are now being scoped than ever. While this is a good thing on one hand, on another its not so good as it does raise the level of anxiety for some people. You do not meet the criteria for requiring a scope, either following the prodigy, sign or nice guidelines but your gp is organising this because the facilities are there and because you are anxious, this should make you feel a bit better and should help to reassure you, i am sure the most they will find will be some reflux which they will grade,depending on where you are will depend which grading system they will use, we use the los angeles grading which goes on A, B, C and D or they may find you have h pylori which is an infection (although your symptoms are not convincing of this). Im pretty sure your anxiety is what is causing the problem with your reflux and once you have been scoped and know you have nothing to worry about itwill be amazing how quickly your symptoms will lessen. Whenyou go for your endoscopy make sure you tell the nurse that you are anxious and that you would like sedation and dont want to see or hear anything going on when youare inthe scope room and she will pass this on, they deal with this more often than you can imagine. You will have to stop taking the lansoprazole at least 2 weeks prior to scope as it can interfere with test results but you will be informed of this by letter from scope unit. Im sure that your problem is just a bit of hypersensitivity caused by your anxiety.
    hope this helps

The most important skill in staying calm
    is not to lose sleep over small issues.
    The second most important skill is to be
    able to view all issues as small issues.

Hello Reddevil !
    Nell's reply is really comprehensive. I know you are feeling very anxious right now but just think how relieved you will be when its all over and everyhting is OK - and it WILL BE. Many of us have been through this procedure and we're all here rooting for you and sending happy vibes

Hey Reddevil

I just accompanied my mum to an endoscopy, and because i was a nurse and she was so anxious i stayed throughout the procedure.n This is very unusual, you usually wait until the sedation is effective and then leave.

The sedation they use as a first choice is called midazolam - it is a sedative and hypnotic drug, it causes you to forget the nasty bits of what is going on, but you can respond to voice commands. It is a short acting drug, so it gets out of your system very quickly after the procedure. But because of it's sedative and hypnotic properties they like someone to be with you for 24 hours. You are also not allowed to drive or operate machinery after the sedation (depending on your car insurance company for up to 48 hours, check with them if its 24 or 48hrs) or sign legal documents etc in case your judgement is impaired by the effects of the drug.

This doesn't mean that the effects actually last that long, you are usually fine within 6-8 hours, it's just a legal precaution because the drug is a mind altering drug.

You can usually remember little bits, like being told to do something but you can't remember the procedure in detail. You then stay in the recovery room for about an hour to hour and a half and then if you feel ok, they send you home.

Just make sure you have someone to drive you home or take a taxi.

Hope this helps

Freaky chick

Hi Red
    I have had an endoscopy to look at my throat. It was under a local, up through the nose. I was given omeprazole but didn't get on with it. I am now taking ranitidine for heartburn! It is so linked with my stress levels and diet. When I am stressed I have heartburn as I eat the wrong thing and I don't digest my food properly! I am currently OK as I am on citalopram but hope to come off soon, so heartburn may be an issue again. I really hope all goes well and please try not to worry. My mum has had heartburn for years and has not got an ulcer or tumour - it is quite common!

This too will pass

Hi, everyone! I'm new to this forum, but not new to either panic disorder or to endoscopies (EGD's). I've had probably 8 EGD's and 4 colonoscopies. I have significant anxiety issues and usually go into these procedures quite anxious. Fortunately, my gastroenterologist is phenomenal, and he always addresses my anxiety immediately.

I've never had an EGD that I wasn't put under for. In the beginning, I was put in twilight sleep, where you don't remember anything but are awake enough to respond to commands. Eventually, the doctor was no longer able to get me into twilight sleep, so they had to start using a heavier sedative.

I never remember anything when I wake up.

The only pain I have felt post endoscopy is in my throat- like something had gotten stuck in it. Otherwise, it was really not a big deal! Which is a good thing because I'm scheduled for another EGD and Sigmoidoscopy on July 29th.

Don't worry... (easier said than done...)

Take care!
    drchic

i had this proecedure a few years ago and i was terrified of being sedated - i hate not being in control so i had it minus sedation and it wasn't nice but it i could deal with it - it only lasts less than a minute and once its over you can go instead of having to wait to come round.

i did burst back in the waiting room and say to my mum - errgh - that was awful in front of others waiting to go in! but if i had to have it done again i would still have it done without sedation - its one of those things that you build up to be going to be a terrible experience but its soon forgotten about. x

Hey,

I had an endoscopy..it was very odd. I was given pethadine>>> ( think that's how you spell it) once I had the drugs I couldn't give a damn what was happening... I may as well have been knocked out! I was fine afterwards.... I went for a big shop at Sainsburys!
    They found I had IBS>which was ok because I understand what triggers the pain.
    Hope this helps x

Wow everyone's being so positive about it! I've had an endoscopy, where I chose to be sedated (well it's kinda half sedated) I remember most of it but also feeling out of it that I didn't really respond to them telling me to swallow. I remember a lot of gagging, that horrible feeling of something being stuffing down your throat! Never again.

I chose not to be sedated because I wanted it done quickly, off and out!! It wasn't the most pleasant thing in the world but I'd have it done like that again. I work in the place where they do it, knew the person who carried it out and probably didn't want to make a fool of myself!! Ridiculous I know!! Honestly though, for anyone who's going to have an endoscopy don't worry about it too much. I believe with sedation you don't remember much after it.
    Myra x

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information