Thread: Citalopram

Citalopram

Hi guys, I'm new here, and I just wanted to ask a question if thats ok.

I've been on 20mg citalopram for about 4 months, everything has been good, obviously I've had a few off days, don't we all, but just in the past week to 10 days I've been feeling like the anxiety is slowly creeping back...can't quite put my finger on it, like I'm sure most of us can't....but I'm seeing my doctor on Friday. Do you think maybe that I've leveled out with the 20mg quantity I've been taking and that I might need to go up to 30mg?

Advice always welcome, thanks for reading

Gav

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Citalopram

Hello Gav

As you've been on 20mg citalopram for quite some time, I think that an increase may help if you feel like the dreaded depression is creeping back. It's better to nip it in the bud early rather than spiral into a deep black hole.

I recently felt like you and increased my AD. Think about going up to 30mg. After your "blip" passes and you've felt better for a few months or so you can then lower the dose again to 20mg.

Definitely have a chat about it with your doctor and welcome to NMP.

Never Surrender, Comrade

its weird coz I haven't felt depressed at all, I'm going out, seeing friends and enjoying myself, its purely an anxiety thing with me.......but yeah, I'll speak to my doctors on Friday and hopefully get on top of things. Thanks for the words of wisdom

Hi,

I would totally agree with melancholia....you may need an increase in dose and then yes can always drop back down again. I took cit for a number of years and did exactly that....I found it worked very well for me.

Jo.xx

I would also say that you probably need an increase. I went from 20mg to 40mg and feel so much better. But you may need to just go to 30mg as others here have said. My Dr said that 40mg was the best for anxiety/panic, which is my problem.

You will get lots of help here with from lots of lovely people, it has been really helpful to me especially the Citalopram Survival Guide by Psychopoet when I first started on citalopram.

All the best to you.

Jannie x x

Hi,

I have been on Citalopram for a while now (my top dose being 40mg). 40mg was good for anxiety, the problem I found was that it made me so tired all the time. I think with this is common for a lot of medications at the dosage required to tackle anxiety. The tiredness was still a problem when i took them at night and had a good nights sleep.

I am now on 20mg which isn't as effective for the anxiety but i'm not half asleep all the time. Having said that, I do still have to take them at night. I find Kalms (the night time version) are good for helping with the anxiety and dont make me too sleepy surprisingly.

I would love a good anxiety medication which dosen't make you feel so tired, if anybody knows of any??

Cheers
    Mark

I found the same thing; 20mg seemed to be working for a while and then suddenly it wasn't. I'mnow up to 30mg and as coping much better - it's important to remember that these meds are not an exact science, so don't worry if you find you need to change the dosage once in a while - all part of the body adjusting to its new situation

I was the same, 20mg then up to 40 and then to 60. This was over 5 years and then it stopped working altogether. I agree that you should definately talk to your GP about increasing. Good luck

Thread Information