Thread: setbacks with medication

setbacks with medication

Why do I feel fine some days and other days I feel so anxious? I take Citalopram 40MG (6 weeks now) and 2MG of clonazepam. I'm going to stick out the Citalopram for another 6 weeks since I heard it can take up to 12 weeks on the correct dosage. My doctor said those with anxiety and panic typically need the 40mg to feel better. I hate the game of switching meds, so i'm willing to wait it out. Would I be starting over if I switch to something else, or would it have already been built up in my system. I feel so lost!
    I thought the citalopram was supposed to stop the "worry loop". Once I get stuck on something I keep thinking about it and worrying.... causing anxiety.

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

I forgot to add ive been on the Citalopram for 13 weeks total (6 of those weeks have been on the 40MG).

Re: setbacks with medication

It took me a year to feel better on citalopram. I'm only on 20mg though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethansmom View Post
    I forgot to add ive been on the Citalopram for 13 weeks total (6 of those weeks have been on the 40MG).
    I think it might be time to discuss other options with your doctor. :(

Only on 20mg and I feel it's beginning to wear off and I'm in need of either a different drug or a raise to 30mg. Been on 20mg 9 months now xx

Quote Originally Posted by spanishbasqueheart View Post
    Only on 20mg and I feel it's beginning to wear off and I'm in need of either a different drug or a raise to 30mg. Been on 20mg 9 months now xx
    Antidepressants can stop working. It doesn't happen that often, but it does happen. However, it could also be that your stress levels have increased beyond the capacity of the current dose in which case raising it should fix the problem within a few weeks.

Has there been anything happening lately, say the last 3 months, which has been particularly stressful?

Hi, sorry to hear you aren't feeling well! I believe you should stick it out for atleast 6 more weeks. You could still be adjusting to the dosage. I was on 10 mg of citalopram and the first few weeks were a roller coaster but on week 5 I have never felt better in my life. This lasted 8 days and after being in a wedding I starred to feel bad again. This blip has lasted 9 days now and I just upped my dosage to 20mg. Today I have been feeling a lot of brain fog and very out of it. Do you think I am in a blip? Is my body adjusting to my new dosage ? I feel like I am on the right meds because of how amazing I have felt during my good weeks. Need some advice!

My therapist says it's normal to get "blips", even while on meds. I have been on 40MG of Citalopram for 6 1/2 weeks now and still have anxiety. I'm hoping the anxiety will settle down. Maybe my anxiety increased because of the higher dosage and will take a bit to settle down. It could be a few more weeks until it levels out. Everyone is different. If there's no difference in another few weeks, i'll talk to the doctor about switching meds.

Thread Information