Thread: Cipralex/Escitalopram, personal experiences please

Cipralex/Escitalopram, personal experiences please

Hi all,

I know there is a sticky about this drug but I just wondered if I could have some personal experiences from people with their reactions to it.

I'd previously taken Cipramil/Citalopram for depression about 5 years ago and it was my life changer for depression, I'd tried various other drugs including prozac, dothiepin and moclobemide but none helped. As soon as I started Cipramil my life changed totally and I felt brilliant, I haven't since suffered depression. I withdrew from the drug very slowly and felt brilliant afterwards too!

This time my problem is anxiety and panic attacks which I'd class as severe at times. My GP's first choice was obviously Cipramil but for anxiety it seemed to make me feel worse, I'm not sure if I gave it long enough but I just remember after 6 weeks I still felt really anxious. I was then moved onto Efexor/Venlafaxine and felt really sluggish and out of it so I withdrew from that and moved to Cipralex. I have now been on this drug since about March starting on 5mg for the first month and then to 10mg until now. I expected a lot more from these drugs for anxiety but they don't seem to be as affective for anxiety as they are for depression.

At the minute I am still struggling through the days, I find that I'm way more obsessive about my problems than I was before, quite often I have bursts of panic and feel my throat tighten up just by swallowing and it's an all consuming fear. I remember after being on the Cipramil 5 years ago, after about a year I think I had similar obsessive thoughts and started to withdraw from the tablets as my depression was pretty much non existant, this was coupled with CBT therapy and I made what I considered a full recovery. It's only severe pressure, mismanagement and misorganisation at work that started my anxiety which all seemed to explode into the worst panic attack I've ever had. Ever since I'm obsessed with choking/gagging and somedays I just can't bear the feeling of my own throat and just having to swallow or speak leaves me with crippling anxiety for the day and fighting to hold off heaving with each swallow.

I'm debating whether to ask my GP to move off the drug and either try something else, or try it alone. Work have been really good so far and I've been on the sick for nearly 8 months but I just don't feel well enough to work.

Sorry for the long posting but any suggestions/experiences from others would be GREATLY appreciated...

Best wishes,

Mark

hey Mark,

I was on Cipralex for anxiety and panic attacks and it really worked for me. It's the only med like that I have ever been on so I don't have anything to compare it to. I was on it for 13 months. I felt better after 2 weeks and just kept getting better and better. Whilst on Cipralex, I had one panic attack. Sure, I had other panicky moments but nothing too bad. I'm off them now and am coping ok somehow and know that I wouldn't be where I am without these meds..Feel free to PM me if you want any more info..

Sarah

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

hi mark, I have been on copralex to for quite a few months. I started them after trying lots of other meds,heared how well serah and a few others got on so asked my GP for them. I started on 10mg and at first the anxiety got much worst , then after a month i felt a little better but didnt improve much so doc upped them too 20mg. It took time a month or 2 but think they have made me much better or I have just got better myself hard to tell, but i do know since i have been on them i have done lots of scary things i hadnt done for years.

Thank you Sarah and Vernon for your replies....

Vernon, maybe I would benefit from going onto a higher dose. It was just that I seemed to react quite well to a lower dose of Cipramil, I thought it may be the case for Cipralex. I am going to see my GP next week to discuss it and put the dose increase to him to see what he thinks...

Many thanks,

Mark

yes i didnt notice much change on higher dose for a month or two so if u ddo give it a chance tc. vernon

Ok Vernon many thanks for the info...

Mark

Nic is it you keep sending me male saying I havnt respnded to MJH? I have responded cant see any more replies lol. Or has something gone crazy with the site?

LOL email sorry nic. I just noticed I have subscribe at bottom of page , is this why i am getting mails?

Hi Mark,

I had been on and off citrolapram for many years, i did try a few in between but they did not seem to works for me, i felt like a zombie, so went back to citrolapram, I always took 20mg, i think 10 is very low for how you seem to be feeling, maybe ask about upping the dose,
    It is the only one that seemed to work for me although the first few weeks were worse till they kicked in, i stayed on them about a year this time and came off them in feb, and i felt i could have come off a few months earlier but thought to make sure, i would stay till i knew i was ok, and touch wood 5 months down the line im doing really well, i have had the odd bad day but thats all its been, just a blip,

hope your ok pm me if you want xx

kairen x

Thread Information