Thread: Coeliac Disease?

Question Coeliac Disease?

Ok so I've been consulting Dr google and Dr NHS website however the symptoms seem to fit?
    My bloating, wind, toilet habits do seem to change when I eat the foods that contain gluten. Since my last post I'd been sort of looking what I eat, and seeing as currently my diet's consiting of ALOT of pasta and bread I'm wondering if this is what it is?

Does anyone here have this? And does anyone know how a doctor would test for it?

Re: Coeliac Disease?

I have suffered Coeliac Disease for over 15 years,

At first I was told by my GP that I was suffering IBS until I persuaded him to send me to a Gastroenterologist. A blood test revealed that certain levels were well below their normal reading and therefore an investigation was warranted in the form of an Endoscopy complete with biopsy.

That was how my diagnosis was confirmed and as soon as I went on a Gluten Free diet my stomach issues and general health improved within weeks.

However, the symptoms of Coeliac Disease do not necessarily mean that you have it. Normally this can just be IBS but it would appear that it is becoming more common that people suffering from stomach discomfort seem to do better when eliminating wheatflour or/and gluten from their diet.

I have since also been diagnosed with IBS, so now I have the best of both worlds. Therefore my discomfort continues even though I follow a strict Gluten Free diet.

I believe Coeliac Disease can now be diagnosed by a blood test.

One thing to consider is also that if your stomach problems are caused by Anxiety or any other stress related psychological issues, no amount of diet changing will benefit. It may help, but the best cure is to lose the Anxiety which causes it in the first place!

Not easy!

Horse.

Thanks for that! Maybe it's me being paranoid, I like to find reasons for things and have a name for them.
    I'm a pain in my own neck!

I reacon I'll just ask the doc next time I see him, see what he says.

I was tested for coeliacs as I seemed to have all the symptoms too. Test was negative, was told it's just plain old IBS!!!!

One thing with Coeliacs Disease is that after awhile the symptoms will get worse as they begin to affect the immune system if not treated. Other symptoms can be aching knee joints and also mouth ulcers that come and go.

Obviously if you suffer from these then it does not necessarily mean you have it of course.

I have dry, flaky skin on my elbows and apparently that can be a symptom of coeliac disease.. who'd have guessed?

It does seem to have got worse in recent times. But it could just be anxiety/stress but I don't know.

Also the dry skin doesn't help me as I suffer excema/very dry skin anyway!

Thread Information