Page 10 of 79 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Esophageal Cancer From Reflux - Very Worried

Re: Esophageal Cancer From Reflux - Very Worried

I searched the forum today as I too have this set of symptoms. Also stressing out about esophageal cancer, my main concerns are I am grossly overweight, and have had acid reflux off and on for years, but since Tuesday nothing helps it, not Rennies, Nexium, Zantac. My throat burns constantly, I also constantly feel I have something in my throat, and I find it hard to swallow sometimes. Often when I lie down I feel I am going to choke if I don't swallow, as it feels something is pooling in my throat and getting more and more, so I am swallowing every 20 seconds whether I am sat or lying down just to clear my throat of this. Being 39 I am also not that young which concerns me, also I have been over 24 stone for nearly 20 years, I even went up to 34 stone for a few years. I first went to the docs in 2013 with bringing up blood with white foam, but was told it was probably allergies, but antihistamines don't help, nor did antibiotics. Fast forward to now, and suddenly since Tuesday this begins with nothing helping, I have never had it like this before. I can totally relate how jumping to cancer is done, especially when we suffer from anxiety. I don't think I have cancer, but it still plays on my mind as a valid possibility, especially when 2 of my school friends have died of cancer already (not EC though).

I will tell you how crazy I am, I had a panoramic dental x-ray the day this began, and I have been paranoid ever since thinking the radiation has burnt some of my already damaged esophagus as the scan goes around the neck and teeth, I know, ridiculous, I hate my brain and the way it works. Also I wore a special "99% removal of all viruses respirator mask" (I know, I know) all the way to the dentist as the person driving me there had a bad chest and head cold and I was terrified of catching it as my tinnitus goes crazy with a cold for a month, so I am also worried the mask has in some way scarred my throat as it was a pressure to breath against, so my stupid brain is thinking the pressure from breathing so hard against the mask has damaged something. I also chickened out of having my lower wisdom tooth removed due to the fear of nerve damage, so I went there for no reason in the end, I am just a damn nervous freak, I hate it. I definitely know this acid reflux is real, so I don't believe I am imagining it, but I sure am not helping it by wondering all sorts. No idea why tablets are not helping though, that adds some worry, coupled with the swallowing problems.

Do people here with anxiety find it hard to swallow sometimes even without acid reflux ? So if you chose to swallow multiple times, could you do it without a problem each and every time ? Or would some times be hard to do ? I seem to be able to swallow every other time basically. First time usually not, then 2nd time yes.

This only started Tuesday so I haven't been to a doc yet, I will do if I still have this in 7 days time. Good luck to Chris for your 7th March appointment, are you having a modern style transnasal esophagoscopy ? Or the old style "lie on side" endoscope ? I desperately would want to the newer style TE style, if you get the choice and the doctor says both are as good as each other, then choose the TE style.
    Last edited by JonnyUK; 26-02-18 at 04:38.

Hi Jonny,

Nobody on here will be able to give you a diagnosis of your symptoms, yes they can say they also had this or that but if you really want to know about your particular case you have to visit a doctor. They are the only people that can properly tell you. I've had all sorts of strange symptoms but I don't think listing them on here will do me any good.

As for the other reasons you are worried that sounds like anxiety to me. With my current worry I've been through things like 'what if I gave myself oesophageal cancer by always eating too quickly' or 'maybe when cleaning the bathroom I inhaled some bleach' or I was even convinced it was because I had a filling replaced a few months ago that the dodgy tooth must have given me cancer. These are all anxiety playing with our minds.

Thank you with regards the endoscopy, it's just the old fashioned throat version but I've been offered either sedation or throat spray which I can just decide on the day. At the moment I am thinking throat spray but I might chicken out later!

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 ----------

Also Jonny, have you had anxiety before? Is this your first worry? IF not have you tried anything to help your anxiety before?

I still have the belching and stuff this morning.

I don't seem to have any pain when swallowing and can eat and drink fine. I guess I will call gastro doctor today and setup an appointment. Unfortunately, I do still believe I have cancer as all my symptoms seem to currently point towards that.

Best get to the doc then.

Do you believe my symptoms point to cancer?

I'm no doctor so I don't know. What I do know is that anything anxiety related affects the digestion - Big brain little brain.
    See a doctor and get it checked out, then get help with your anxiety.

No I don't think they do, at all. I have a lot worse and more specific symptoms and I'm dealing with it by having an endoscopy next Wednesday. If you really think you have this then that is your only way to prove it either way. Nobody on here can tell you if you have it. A doctor can make an informed guess but the endoscopy is the gold standard.

Worry less - you will not have Oesophageal Cancer (this coming from someone convinced they have it themselves)

I hope reading this thread isn't causing you more anxiety, Chris? You are certainly doing the right thing and giving the right advice but don't jeopardise your own mental health when you have enough to deal with yourself? (I mean in terms of HA of course). I doubt whether the OP will pay a blind bit of notice to your insightful advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1985 View Post
    Hi Jonny,

Nobody on here will be able to give you a diagnosis of your symptoms, yes they can say they also had this or that but if you really want to know about your particular case you have to visit a doctor. They are the only people that can properly tell you. I've had all sorts of strange symptoms but I don't think listing them on here will do me any good.

As for the other reasons you are worried that sounds like anxiety to me. With my current worry I've been through things like 'what if I gave myself oesophageal cancer by always eating too quickly' or 'maybe when cleaning the bathroom I inhaled some bleach' or I was even convinced it was because I had a filling replaced a few months ago that the dodgy tooth must have given me cancer. These are all anxiety playing with our minds.

Thank you with regards the endoscopy, it's just the old fashioned throat version but I've been offered either sedation or throat spray which I can just decide on the day. At the moment I am thinking throat spray but I might chicken out later!

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 ----------

Also Jonny, have you had anxiety before? Is this your first worry? IF not have you tried anything to help your anxiety before?
    I'm there with you. I have an endoscopic ultrasound on March 16 to follow up on something they saw on my last endoscopy. Mine, if cancer, would probably be more of a soft tissue sarcoma in the muscle, not normal EC.

Coldhands, I thought your endoscopic ultrasound was last Friday? I replied to your other thread asking how you got on. How come the date change?

Pulisa, it's okay I'm trying my best with the anxiety but I don't think it will change much until after my endoscopy next wed - I have real symptoms that worry me a lot. I'm going back for another session with the psychologist this Friday (expensive couple of weeks!) So that should help me somewhat...

I dont mind commenting on here about other people, it's much easier to see anxiety in others than yourself!

Page 10 of 79 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread Information