Thread: Acupuncture made me worse - what should I do?

Acupuncture made me worse - what should I do?

A couple of months ago, I tried acupuncture. I felt fine at the time, but when I got home I felt a lot worse, even though it was the weekend, I was having a relaxing time with my husband and I was in situations where I don't normally feel anxious. I felt worse than I had done for the reasons I was trying acupuncture! I felt very anxious and panicky, worse than I had done for a long time.
    I phoned the acupuncturist the next week, as I was due for another appointment. I wanted to cancel this appointment, as I didn't want to feel any worse. I didn't manage to speak to the lady and since then have not done.
    Since having the acupuncture, my symptoms have worsened greatly and it has got to the point where I'm considering giving up work, as I just can't cope with it anymore.
    I was not told by her before the session that acupuncture could worsen my symptoms, was given nothing to read through about it or anything to sign. Does this woman have a duty of care to her patients? Should I go back and ask to speak to her or complain? I don't want to cause a fuss, but I was not warned of this, and my anxiety is now at its worst and very debilitating.

Re: Acupuncture made me worse - what should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by lkenny View Post
    A couple of months ago, I tried acupuncture. I felt fine at the time, but when I got home I felt a lot worse, even though it was the weekend, I was having a relaxing time with my husband and I was in situations where I don't normally feel anxious. I felt worse than I had done for the reasons I was trying acupuncture! I felt very anxious and panicky, worse than I had done for a long time.
    I phoned the acupuncturist the next week, as I was due for another appointment. I wanted to cancel this appointment, as I didn't want to feel any worse. I didn't manage to speak to the lady and since then have not done.
    Since having the acupuncture, my symptoms have worsened greatly and it has got to the point where I'm considering giving up work, as I just can't cope with it anymore.
    I was not told by her before the session that acupuncture could worsen my symptoms, was given nothing to read through about it or anything to sign. Does this woman have a duty of care to her patients? Should I go back and ask to speak to her or complain? I don't want to cause a fuss, but I was not warned of this, and my anxiety is now at its worst and very debilitating.
    Sorry to hear you're suffering. However, I wouldn't immediately blame the acupuncturist for your deterioration.

I may be wrong here, but a possibility is that the anticipation of being cured made your anxiety better, and then when it wasn't cured, it suddenly nose-dived again. I've had this experience - feeling a lot better when I imagined a cure was just around the corner, and then suddenly plunged into despair again when my hopes were disappointed. On the other hand, anxiety does go in cycles and rarely stays at precisely the same level, and the fact that yours has recently worsened may not necessarily be related to the acupuncture.

If it WAS the acupuncture that worsened the anxiety, acupuncture may be able to improve it again. Personally I'd bring it up with the acupuncturist in a friendly way and ask for suggestions, rather than immediately getting confrontational, but that's just me.
    Last edited by Franz; 09-06-08 at 13:10.
    And fill it with devils and dust.
    - Bruce Springsteen

please look up about healing crisis, there is loads of sites if you google it and im sure it will explain what has possibly happened better than i can. i had this happen to me too but i persevered with it and went every week and after a few months i was ok and now i thoroughly enjoy the relaxing benefits of acupuncture. i used to get more anxious, burst into tears and get bad headaches as part of it. i know its not a nice feeling but i think when people dont understand the healing crisis part it puts them off and they give up on it too easily. hugs karen x

Hi, I understand this post was a long time ago but did you end up feeling any better? I'm experiencing similar symptoms almost 1 month later.

There is a time needed for alternative therapies to do their work fully! The human body has to be observed in perspective, as a whole! What I'm trying to say is that even if you use acupuncture, you have to settle a diet plan, you have to workout and you have to rest aswell! Even so, it takes about 3 weeks to have your sympoms dissapear (about 80% of them), and around 45-50 days for the symptoms to dissapear fully!

As an example, it takes around 50 to 100 rounds of reflexology massage to cut down all your symptoms! And not by massage alone, you have to keep a strict diet, and workout (aerobic workout is best - jogging, walking).

Foods to avoid: meat (any type), any kind of bread and wheat related, coffee, any type of sodas! This is a general guide line!

You can eat a lot of rice, lentils, soups with no oil.. only a little butter added instead of oil!

You can use a lot of vegetables! Carrot, celery, beet.. etc!

These are general guidelines!

If you are interested, I can tell you more! Wish you the best!

Thread Information