Thread: Going from 10mg to 20mg!

Going from 10mg to 20mg!

So I've been on 10mg for about 3 months and the doc wants me to go onto 20mg "when I'm ready"

But I keep making excuses, I feel great on the 10mg already...

Do you get many problems when upping the dosage by 10mg?

When I upped the dosage from 5mg to 10mg I had no issues at all, but obviously this is 10 to 20...

Thoughts?

Re: Going from 10mg to 20mg!

Hiya,

If you feel great on the dose you are on perhaps you don't need to change it. I think getting the dose right with these meds is a delicate thing.

I was on 20 (citalopram) and felt fine. I then had a blip before I was due to return to work (unsuprisingly) On the docs advice I then went from 20 to 30 to 40 on citalopram and have felt awful ever since. Can't see the Doc till 2 moro so I have dropped back to 20 on my own and even after a couple of days I am slowly feeling better again.

If you feel good on what you are on I wouldn't be in a hurry to change dose. You know yourself best. Listen to your body, if it feels Ok then perhaps it is best not to upset the balance.

Changing the dosage seems to have put me back a fortnight.

Hope that helps

Hi There
    Im on Cipralex - I actually did feel more side effects upping from 5 mg to 10 mg but everyone different and if you havent before you may not - if u feel ok on 10 why are you upping them if you dont mind me asking

This is an intreaguing thread as the leaflet in my packet indicates that the normal doses are 10mg and 20mg and the normal maximum is 20mg. (Please note I could be wrong so please read the leaflet in your packet).

It seems odd to increase the dose if the patient does not feel the need. I did not get any nighttime benefit on 10mg once a day so the GP did increase it to 10mg twice a day. I take the late dose close to sleep time.

All I have read on reducing dosage of this and all SSRIs is to do it VERY slowly. It appears to be worth breaking tables into 5mg (they have a split line) and reducing by 5mg per day at a time. And maybe taking a week (or longer?) for each step. Your body will be used to a LOT of seratonin and will have to make its own and sort the mechanisms out. This has the potential to play fast & loose with your brain & emotions. I anticipate coming off the meds will be like fighting low-medium anxiety/depression all over again; although hopefully from a better start!

If you need the medication then the increase is fine - but you really should be the one to identify (or agree with) the need. These are not smarties.

I missed one of my doses the other morning and only noticed a lot later. I had had some very strong anxiety that lunchtime-afternoon so even a small blip in dosage can have an effect.

Thread Information