Thread: Fear of lung cancer....

Fear of lung cancer....

I have had a tickly cough for a couple of months, Its only present during the day, (no probs during the night) It seems to be as a result of mucus dripping in the back of my throat cos it isn't there until the mucus starts. Doc has checked my chest-he says it sounds clear but prescribed a 5 day course of antibiotics and a ventolin inhaler-neither worked. When I went back i spoke to a trainee doc first and he suggested it might be a sinus prob cos of the nasal drip-although i don't have a runny nose. He said a decongestant might help. They don't seem to think its an allergy cos I'm not wheezy although I do live in the country amongst a virtual forest of trees and plants! My doc however decided that I needed a week long course of the steroid Prednisilone to try to clear things. I'm reluctant to take them as I've had them before when I have had MS relapses and I don't like the side affects. I worry all the time that it might be lung cancer and foolishly googled a week ago and since then have worried even more!!!!!:( I don't really want to have a chest x-ray either cos I worry about the affects of radiation and have read all the scare stories about that too. I've had 2 before-the last one being a few years ago and my doc hasn't suggested it anyway. I'm getting so mixed up about this and its going round and round in my head. I don't like the idea of taking the prednisilone cos it makes me shaky so I feel stuck at the moment. Maybe I should just go out and buy a packet of Sinutab!!!!-who knows it may work. Any suggestions gratefully received. Anyone else have symptoms like these?
    Love Tulip x

Although im no expert i do understand how you feel, i would say the feelings you are experiencing are anxiety related. i too seem to suffer a lot with recurrant chest infections etc and also think what if lung cancer sometimes. but know my smoking doesnt help and its me over reacting. I would go back to your docs and get the chest xray done to at least put your mind at rest.

When we are down and not feeling ourselves it does make us prone to more illnesses like colds and chest infections. Try and look after yourself mate and keep your chin up. Let us know how you get on.
    Love & Hugs from Sarah-Jane xxxx

Thread Information