Thread: Greetings from a long term insomniac

Greetings from a long term insomniac

Hi everyone.

I found this site at the weekend. What a relief! I’ve been looking for support for ages, especially people who know what I’m talking about. My husband is loving, kind and he tries to understand, but the little sigh that slips out when I say I’m worried I won’t sleep tonight for the twentieth time that evening...

I am long term sufferer of Insomnia and I HATE IT.

In fact after a really bad night I can and do cry with frustration and, sometimes, panic. I have tried everything imaginable. I am weaning myself of occasional diazepam at moment, which I take for my panic attacks. I am also on long term dothiepin (10 months last count). When people try to give me advice I tell them I could write a book on suggested cures for insomnia!

I suffer from a “chicken or egg” syndrome: does my insomnia cause anxiety, or does my anxiety cause insomnia.

Does anyone know what I mean?

Dusty

Hi, yes I suffer from insomnia, my husband has recently gone onto permanent nights, he is adamant my sleeping pattern has nothing to do with it but Im not sure, Ive stopped worrying about it now.
    But ever so often I get real bad as I get exhausted, just keep plodding on,

love from Alexisxxxx

Hi Dusty

Welcome to the forum. I also suffer from insomnia and struggled for months before finally getting some sleep medication from my doctor.

Lack of sleep does make things so much more difficult to cope with.

Have you had any help for the panic attacks so far?

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

My panic attacks aren't very bad compared to most peoples I've heard about (I tend to cry and stop seeing things in perspective - "Am I ever going to be normal?" "What's the point anymore?"). I don't get any of the other physical symtoms apart from the occasional raising heart, which I have found I can control with deep slow breathing. I wish going to sleep was as easy to control!

As for help - I was lucky enough to get free counselling through my old work which helped for a while. I had a course of 6 or 7 which finished in May.

A month ago I started a new job. (My first permanent job). At the same time my husband started going away with work a whole lot more. Result: Stress levels rose and the insomnia gradually returned. This time I was kind of prepared. (I'm still on Dothiepin and I always carry diazipam with me. I try to avoid using it unless there is no other way to control my panic/tears. )

I have also started seeing a different GP at my surgery and she seems to be more in-the-know. My old GP was adamant there was no help available at the surgery. My new GP has already referred me for an "Anxiety Management COurse". I had the confirmation I am on the waiting list yesterday. (Waiting list - Good Old British NHS!) I don't know if I'll learn anything new, but I will (a) meet other people in a similar situation to me and (b) have a chance to talk about it to others (and give my poor husband a break!).

I could never keep my comments short sorry!

Dusty.

Hi Dusty

A big warm welcome to you

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
    Will I ever be free?
    Wake me up from this nightmare.
    Please just give me the key!

Hi Dusty,

welcome to the site from another insomiac. Mine is definitely caused by the anxiety though

come and say hello in the live chat sometime, I'm usually there at night

All the best

Alan

"Life's a roller-coaster and I am not strapped in"

Good morning Dusty

Like all the other I would agree it's a catch 22, you cannot sleep so you start to worry, and because to cannot sleep you stay up worrying more.

Goodluck luck weaning yourself of the medication sweet, you are brave that's one avenue I refused to go down (anti-drug dependant person).

Someone suggested to me about 6 months ago tai-chi (if spelt right)
    I try to repeat what I am taught each night for about 45mins, no music, no T.V. I won't lie it does takes some paitence, (loads actually) but more often than not it does work, if I let it, if you let it.

take care sweetie

popsxxxx

May you live long and prosper

Hi Dusty

A big welcome to the site!

In your second post you say 'Am I ever going to be normal?'

I would perhaps say 'What is normal?'

That comment is not meant to sound flip, I promise you as I can identify with both your posts!

Through CBT sessions, I have recently accepted that there is no such thing as normal, it varies all the time depending on situations, feelings, emotions etc.

And in fact, that by recognising this, I've begun to relax and when symptoms arise (typically at night), they will subside and I will get to sleep.

This does sound incredibly simplistic, but to me it was a revelation!

I have had hiccups and there are posts here to prove it, but the turning point was accepting this NORMAL issue and now when I suffer, I am far more accepting and don't dwell so much on the fact that I can't sleep and take what ever sleep is coming my way that night! It has turned things around for me!

Another thing is recognising triggers, you have already identified one - the new job, again that can help, as you see it as the catalyst and this may help to accept the situation as a blip!

From the bottom of my heart, I do hope this helps a little and that you begin to find a way through this.

All the best

Elaine

I don't know if anybody has mentioned the importance of physical excercise.
    Just a good wearisome walk can help if you aren't the tread-mill type. Not drinking or smoking is an obvious modification as well.
    <center></center><div align="left"></div id="left">

Thread Information