Thread: Has anyone taken Citalopram?

Has anyone taken Citalopram?

Hi there;

I finally decided to go to my GP today, as my anxiety/panic has been getting out of control again. I've recently joined this forum, but have been suffering on and off for years. (mostly health-related panic and panic attacks) but also I have severe mood swings. I think they may be worse sometimes because I now live in the UK with my partner (moved here from Canada over a year ago). Sometimes I just get scared because I don't know too many people here, and it's that feeling of being away from your family.

Anyways, back to the point of this post!! My GP perscribed me Citalopram, only 10mg dose to start out with. I've always been scared to take meds, but thought I'd give it a try to see how it goes. She also signed me off work for the week so I can adjust to them. I took my first tablet today, and have felt pretty tired, worn, and really sick to my stomach. I do feel much calmer though. Just wondering if anyone else has taken them, and what your thoughts are on them.

Thanks..I look forward to reading some replies. Feel very isolated right now being on medication..it's a new and scary thing for me. xx

Scroll back down through the medications catagory - there are loads of posts about this drug

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Basha

There are loads of posts on it...

Some are here.....
    Citalopram, Cipramil, Escitalopram & Lexapro

Nicola

Hi Basha,

I was on citalopram for nearly 8 years and they really helped me. the first few months can be hard while your body adjusts to them, but once you settle down with them, they really can help.

I hope they help you the way they did me.

Take care

Trac Xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

hi there, im on this med at moment and yes it does help once its in your system. it took around 2 weeks before it took affect and im afraid that i felt worse before feeling better (like most drugs) but keep on them has i was so tempted to throw them away at first cos they made me feel rotten but now they help loads i can feel the calming effect. im on 20mg daily started off on 10mg the first week.
    i hope this helps... adele x x

Hi i've taken citalopram 10mg. While i was suffering with my anxiety/panic they deffo helped me to feel more in control. In the beginning, like you they make me feel so tired and a little more anxious, but was told by many people on this site that it would pass within a few days, and it did. I called it a wonder drug lol coz it made me feel so much better!
    hope this helps Tara x

I've been taking Citalopram for the last 8 weeks and it really does work, but you do have to be patient.

I found for the first 2 weeks they made me very anxious and tired, but slowly over the weeks I started to feel more normal and eventually started being able to do things that previously my anxiety would have prevented me from doing.

I didn't really get any side effects other than being quite drowsy (which I still get now and again).

Thanks for all of your replies.

I'm on my third day and doing okay. I've felt pretty groggy at times and a bit sick to my stomach, but otherwise not too bad. When i feel more anxious I just tell myself that it is the drugs and already I'm feeling a bit calmer.

I'm off work for the week which is good, gives me a chance to get used to the idea of taking them!! I'm looking forward to them kicking in properly though! xx

Thread Information