Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Withdrawal diary

Re: Withdrawal diary

Thanks - and you are not putting words in my mouth! That is a big part of the problem. I am on the waiting list with the NHS for CBT, but as I can only do it in the evenings after work I have been waiting for 2 months so far to get seen! Apparently I am now at the top of the list, so hopefully I will get seen soon. I have been using the headspace app to do meditation every morning, which I do think is helping, and have been reading Dr Claire Weekes and trying to put into practice some of her advice. I am also exercising regularly.

All of which is helping, but the bad days are still bad. It is funny, reading my post from Monday today, when I am in a better space, and I almost don't recognise the person who wrote it. It is amazing how different our entire being can be when we are in the depths of anxiety/depression. I guess I just have to keep working at it and trust the good days will get more frequent....

And Epitaxial - I think the brain is a pretty resilient thing, and will adjust to whatever we throw at it, it just takes time. I am not someone who thinks people should be off meds if they work for them - in fact, in hindsight, I should never have come off the Prozac last summer. But unfortunately it seems that my body has decided that SSRIs are the devil, so I don't really have much choice. And now, after such a horrible 6 months of side effects (which were waaaaaaaay worse than my experience off drugs) I am far too scared to try anything else. So now it is just me and my brain trying to get along again....

Quote Originally Posted by anxiousjomo View Post

It is amazing how different our entire being can be when we are in the depths of anxiety/depression.
    Ain't that the truth. And all of it from our own brain! Thanks, brain!

I really hope you get some benefit from the CBT, it might seem a bit simple-minded at first - it did to me. But go with it and put in the work required and hopefully you'll find it as helpful as I did.

In my first session I was told how to "postpone worry" and thought it was the most ridiculous advice. The therapist said try it and if it doesn't work keep trying because it might take some time. I left feeling quite despondent and thinking "this is going to be a complete waste of time", but to my great surprise it worked like a dream pretty much from day one. I've been a worrier since I was about 13, so I thought I was a hopeless case!

Have you ever read "Feeling Good" by David Burns? It's based on CBT and I found it very useful. Can be had cheaply second hand from Amazon too.

Amazingly, 15min after posting that I got a call from the NHS and my first CBT session is in a couple of weeks! Am going to keep my mind as open as possible and try to follow the advice...will see what happens!

I don't know the book, but thanks for the recommendation - I will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by anxiousjomo View Post
    And Epitaxial - I think the brain is a pretty resilient thing, and will adjust to whatever we throw at it, it just takes time. I am not someone who thinks people should be off meds if they work for them - in fact, in hindsight, I should never have come off the Prozac last summer. But unfortunately it seems that my body has decided that SSRIs are the devil, so I don't really have much choice. And now, after such a horrible 6 months of side effects (which were waaaaaaaay worse than my experience off drugs) I am far too scared to try anything else. So now it is just me and my brain trying to get along again....
    That's how my mind and health anxiety views SSRI's no matter if it's a good day or a terrible night at 5am when I wake up with my entire body in an anxious state for no reason at all [I can only assume its my subconscious triggering the anxiety]

Would you be able to take a beta blocker or perhaps a low dose benzo?

Good to hear you have an appointment for CBT! Hopefully it's a step in the right direction to help settle down your anxiety.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information