Thread: To go on meds or not? Advice needed please

To go on meds or not? Advice needed please

Hi I am suffering with anxiety and depression after too much work stress... I need to work to pay bills and support my family, and have been trying cbt books and meditation. I've recently started counselling too...
    But I just don't know what to do about medication... the thought of anti depressants and their side effects really worry me (thanks anxiety)... I tried citalopram but I felt awful after 4 days, headaches, extremely tired, aching... all sorts...

So I've got a doctors appointment on Thursday. He said he could try me on sertraline. But I'm so worried about not being able to function properly with side effects... any advice? I do have some better days and I'm so indecisive about this it's so hard

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

Sorry I think I posted in the wrong bit...

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

Sorry I think I posted in the wrong bit...

Re: To go on meds or not? Advice needed please

Hi I think you have posted under the wrong med subforum, but don't worry about it Yeah I have been on meds a long time ago but gradually got weaned off them it was horrible feeling and don't ever want that feeling again. We are all made differently so meds may work for you, but long term like years and years of them try and avoid, and if you have had a diagnosis by your dr get some therapy on the go CBT or Counselling etc there is often a waiting list so check with Mental Health Charities in your area they still will have a waiting list, but not as long Let us know what you do please. Cheers

Thanks, I have had 2 counselling sessions. Luckily I've got it with my private healthcare cover. I don't want to go on medication forever but I think it may help short term to get me back in a better place. When u say a horrible feeling do you mean the weaning off? Or being on the medication? I'm struggling lately and am gonna try the sertraline

Quote Originally Posted by Alwayslatenight View Post
    Thanks, I have had 2 counselling sessions. Luckily I've got it with my private healthcare cover. I don't want to go on medication forever but I think it may help short term to get me back in a better place. When u say a horrible feeling do you mean the weaning off? Or being on the medication? I'm struggling lately and am gonna try the sertraline
    You are welcome mate Do you have any more sessions to follow ?if not you could try various MH Charities or the NHS but the NHS can be a long wait Nah it was when I was on them, like a zombie lol had no motivation what so ever and stayed in bed all day, so was gradually weaned of them and been med free for years now Any dosage changes do via your Gp though HTH Cheers

Ah ok I see. I'm hoping they don't have that effect on me!
    I really don't want to be a zombie. That's one of my main worries... Yes I have more sessions I don't know if there is a limit?

Quote Originally Posted by Alwayslatenight View Post
    Ah ok I see. I'm hoping they don't have that effect on me!
    I really don't want to be a zombie. That's one of my main worries... Yes I have more sessions I don't know if there is a limit?
    Everyone is different you may have little or no side effects but give them time to work before going back to your Gp Yeah there are limits think I had about 8 some years back but again it depends and was while back. but guess if you need a few more and you can explain why you could get more!! Keep us updated though, be good to see you progressing forward Cheers

Hi, I have just gone back on meds for the 3rd time. First time was 2004 following redundancy from job. They worked for me. 2nd time family issues. This time health. The only thing I will say is be prepared for some initial side effects and don't give up. They can be a "life saver". Meaning you feel normal again. Good luck.

Thanks Jools, yeah I feel weak about It but I start to get anxious about the side effects and really worry then about not being we'll enough for work due to side effects

Thread Information