Thread: Mirtazapine to Citalopram

Mirtazapine to Citalopram

I recently decided to change back to Citalopram which was my original anti Anxiety medication. I Tapered the mirtazapine down to 7.5mg and I have been on 20mg of Citalopram since the 27th of December which is also when I dropped to 15mg from 20mg. Last night I tried to stop the Mirtazapine completely and seemed to fall asleep OK but woke up anxious and wide awake at 3am and was awake for quite some time. Should I try and half the 7.5mg to 3.75mg or just try and persevere with being off it completely?
    I don't have many tabs left and my doc will not prescribe any more as she wasn't happy with me cross tapering anyway....

Re: Mirtazapine to Citalopram

The official guidance is to cross-taper from mirtazapine to citalopram, in fact it recommends "cautious" cross-tapering and "Speed of cross-tapering should be judged by monitoring tolerability of the individual patient"

http://www.mims.co.uk/news/882430/Sw...ntidepressants
    (last entry on the list)

So I'm surprised your GP was against it. It seems like you're doing the right thing and should cross-taper as gradually as you need.

You might want to try 7.5mg on alternate nights for a week or so before stopping totally, rather than try to split further.

Re: Mirtazapine to Citalopram

Quote Originally Posted by Mark13 View Post
    The official guidance is to cross-taper from mirtazapine to citalopram, in fact it recommends "cautious" cross-tapering and "Speed of cross-tapering should be judged by monitoring tolerability of the individual patient"

http://www.mims.co.uk/news/882430/Sw...ntidepressants
    (last entry on the list)

So I'm surprised your GP was against it. It seems like you're doing the right thing and should cross-taper as gradually as you need.

You might want to try 7.5mg on alternate nights for a week or so before stopping totally, rather than try to split further.
    Thank you for your advice Mark. To be honest I always here here conflicting recommendations from doctor
    Looking at that it looks like its possible I need another week
    Glad to see you're doing well back at work

Thread Information