Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palpitations - How do people manage them?

Palpitations - How do people manage them?

I'm an 18 y/o female, and i can safely say these past few months have been the worst of my life. I used to be a free living, happy go lucky teenager, but ever since I started having these episodes of palpitations, my life has completely changed. I am too anxious to see friends, go out, and have even had to defer my end of year university exams, and at times have been completely bed bound from fear - all because of my constant worry there is something wrong with my heart.

I have seen 3 cardiologists, had ecg's, holter monitor's, echo, blood test, stress test which are ALL normal, yet I am still convinced they have missed something.

I had started to make a little progress this past week but then last night BAM a huge flutter/ectopic/whatever you want to call it, and now my confidence has just plummeted again and feel I am back at square one.

If any of you have any coping technique's with how to cope with palpitation's and the anxiety that come with them, please let me know, as I am desperate to get my life back.

Re: Palpitations - How do people manage them?

"I have seen 3 cardiologists, had ecg's, holter monitor's, echo, blood test, stress test which are ALL normal, yet I am still convinced they have missed something."

no, they did not. it's your nerves.

i suggest this in almost every thread:
    read this book: Dr. Claire Weekes - Self Help for Your Nerves. really. read it PLEASE! it's not about heart-phobia, but it DOES explain every heart symptoms perfectly. and more.

and consider psychotherapy (CBT). i also waited way too long... "i can safely say these past few months have been the worst of my life" <--- yeah, mine too, i feel your pain.
    Last edited by slickadam; 16-07-17 at 20:38.

The chances that three cardiololgists missed something is so mind blowlingly small that it's not even worth thinking about.

I've been where you are, and trust me, it's your mind playing tricks.

Thanks for your replies.. Really want to believe it is just anxiety so I can carry on with my life but something is stopping me.

Going to see a psychologist tomorrow, so hopefully that will help

Palpitations are not always caused by anxiety alone, it's just that anxiety can keep them going. Sometimes they can be caused by eating and drinking anything that might irritate your digestive system and raise your heartrate such as caffeine, smoking, alcohol etc, as the two are connected. Sometimes they can be caused by bending down from the waist, or 'stooping' as this posture can press on the vagus nerve which then interrupts the heartbeat.

Sometimes they can be caused by extremes of temperature as this can alter breathing patterns...I get more of them in really cold weather or when I first get into a cold swimming pool...also with anything emotional such as crying or laughing hysterically, or when you first fall in love, and some people get them while having sex. Some of us are just more aware of these palps is all it is. Even my GP suffers with them so he knows how uncomfortable they are.

So finding your trigger for them might well ease them. I've lived with them for over 40 years. They started for me in my early 20s and i'm now 63. I've had all the tests over alot of those years and the palps have never turned into something to worry about. I'm still going.

I did discover the magic of beta blockers in 2007. They were given to me initially for raised bp but a bonus of them was how much they calmed my heart down and reduced the palps to almost nothing. So I've been taking them ever since. They're not mind-altering drugs like tranquilisers (benzos) are and can be taken as and when needed. Some people take them before flying or before an exam for example.

But ultimately, losing the fear of palpitations can make a big difference to calming them down. There are alot of members here who suffer with them so why not read up on them...there's loads of information about them here.

Last edited by Catherine S; 18-07-17 at 18:20.

Thank you so much Catherine S for your reply, it is much appreciated.

It is really reassuring and calming to know that you have lived with them for so long and you're okay, I need to remind myself that many people have them and still continue with their lives.

My doctor has mentioned the possibility of taking propranolol, so this is something I should perhaps consider.

Hopefully therapy/counselling can help me to come to terms with the palpitations too, they are just so scary when they happen, but I am determined to conquer this fear.

Quote Originally Posted by scared1998 View Post
    Thanks for your replies.. Really want to believe it is just anxiety so I can carry on with my life but something is stopping me.

Going to see a psychologist tomorrow, so hopefully that will help
    I have been getting them off and on for years.... over 20 years... I was told originally by cardiologists and same tests that you have had.. .its normal... and to forget about them...

They do come back now and then.. .and I do just that FORGET ABOUT them..
    The more you think about them.... the more u feel them...

KEEP ON MOVING and forget about them.... you are looking for an answer outside of yourself... the answer is in you....

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine S View Post

I did discover the magic of beta blockers in 2007. They were given to me initially for raised bp but a bonus of them was how much they calmed my heart down and reduced the palps to almost nothing. So I've been taking them ever since. They're not mind-altering drugs like tranquilisers (benzos) are and can be taken as and when needed. Some people take them before flying or before an exam for example.
    sounds great. i'll ask my cardiologist about beta-blockers. my heart can go VERY fast, when i'm nervous, but at home, especially in the evening, my normal HR is rather slow (50-54), and my blood pressure is also on the low side. so... i don't know if these pills are okay in my case.:/

do you know, what happens with the un-used adrenaline in your body? because beta-blockers just BLOCK the adrenaline, but don't stop the body to produce it.

I have had palpitations all my life, fast, jumpy, stop/start, the whole lot. I have been running or weight training when they sometimes occur and I just carry on, no problems.

There is a thought now, that they are necessary to keep the heart healthy, throw it a curved ball and see how it copes, yours appears to be doing just fine.

Thank you very much for your reply!

Has anyone ever felt palp's in their neck? Just felt a large 'thud' in the left side of my neck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information