Thread: Month-long heart palpitations

Month-long heart palpitations

Hi everyone,

I'm 24, healthy, exercise a lot, work a relatively tough job but still get to sleep most nights eventually.

I'm new to anxiety and panic attacks, have only experienced it since the new year (coinciding with moving home, new job, new city), but it makes so many good things just that bit worse.

I've been to A&E twice, had ECGs, blood tests and X rays on both occasions, both times absolutely nothing to worry about.

Still I've gone to bed every single night for the past 4 months listening to my heart pound in my chest. I don't get dizzy, sweaty, skipped beats or racing beats, just pounding, it feels so strong I'm convinced my bed must be shaking. I get occasional chest, neck and back pains too but that's not been so bad recently. I only really notice the palpitations at night and when I drink too, the two times when I'm trying to unwind a bit and chill out.

Despite the two A&E visits and three trips to the GP, AND the fact that I do 20k of running a week and 80k of cycling, I can still convince myself I've got a heart problem and am going to die.

Anyone had a similar experience or have coping tips?

Re: Month-long heart palpitations

Hey sounds like me! Im 21 fit and i suffer from palpitations when im anxious you are fine and palpitations is a normal symptom with anxiety. Try and think what is causing it are you bored so you have nothing to keep you busy? This was my problem, as soon as i focused on something that i enjoyed or kept busy they went away.
    Theres deep breathing exercises but you and i both know they dont exactly help. The only way to stop getting them is to stop thinking that theres something wrong. You can also get propranolol take 40mg when you are stressed and that will stop the body producing stress hormone (which makes your heart palpitate) the effects only last about 4-6 hours but better than nothing!
    Hope this helps and try and sleep well tonight

Thread Information