Thread: Skipped beats and random adrenalin rushes through the day. Please help.

Skipped beats and random adrenalin rushes through the day. Please help.

So I'm no stranger to heart related anxiety and have suffered for 14 years now. Normally skipped beats don't bother me and I've had various tests over the years; numerous ecgs, holter monitors etc and all is normal. For the last week I've been having random pains in my left arm. Sometimes it feels like a dead arm and weakness, other times numb, other times just random twinges.

Today I had some fluttering heartbeats which lasted about five mins. I was driving so forced myself to cough which usually sorts it out. Heartbeat returned to normal but palpitations since. But I'll be sitting quietly and I'll just get a sudden rush of adrenalin and feel hot. This only lasts for a minute or so but happens throughout the day. I also just feel generally 'off', just something I can't put my finger on.

I'm getting really fed up of worrying that there's something wrong now. I've been suffering from reflux (the kind in your throat, not heartburn) and I was also ill for most of July with chest symptoms and bronchitis.

My question is can all this be attributed to anxiety even though it's only these symptoms that make me anxious?! Otherwise I'm the most chilled person I know. Could it be heart failure or something?

I'm supposed to be watching my husband play at a festival tonight but I'm scared to go and I'll just be looking for the nearest first aider.

I would be grateful to hear any other experiences from other people suffering similar things.

Re: Skipped beats and random adrenalin rushes through the day. Please help.

Hi Redsoles, have you considered that it could be a hormone imbalance? I've lived with 'skipped' beats and flutters etc, since my early 20s and like you and many others ive had all the tests over the years, but they were always much worse around my periods. Then from about age 42 they seemed to be almost constant, together with the adrenaline surges you describe, until I hit the menopause at 49. I didn't know it then, but those 7 years of irregular periods. ..heavy and prolonged, feelings of weakness, increased headaches and all manner of anxiety symptoms as well as the erratic beats were all part of the peri-menopause, and changing hormone levels were responsible for most of it.

Don't get me wrong, unfortunately I still do live with skipped beats and flutters so they didn't miraculously disappear when the periods stopped and i'm now in my 60s, but throughout my 40s and part way through my 50s they were alot worse. I've been taking low dose beta blockers since 2007 and these really do help with the palpitations but I was never offered them during those years...which is a shame, because they could've brought me some relief from the onslaught! None of us know when the last period will be so we don't know how long the perimenopause will last for each of us...a blood test would tell you if your oestrogen level is low though, which is a good indication.

Palpitations are not always down to anxiety, but anxiety can make them worse. I wasn't an anxious person until I first started to feel them and became an anxious person as a result, but there are lots of stimulants in what we eat, drink and smoke as well as stimulating situations that can cause them, and for non anxious people too, but for people with HA it becomes very scary. My GP takes beta blockers for his skipped beats too and he's the most chilled person I know, he just finds them a nuisance.

Last edited by Catherine S; 11-08-17 at 15:37.

Thanks Catherine, I did wonder if this might be true cause too. I'm 44 so I guess the right age. It just seems like I can't remember the last day I had where I didn't have some sort of ill feeling and it's really getting me down now.

How do I get my hormone levels checked? I'm seeing my GP on the 21st but no doubt she will just brush it off as anxiety again.

Tell her you think that maybe how you feel could be hormone related, and ask to make an appointment to have a blood test...this could be done by a nurse or phlebotomist. The blood test can show your oestrogen level as can testing urine. Even if your periods are regular at the moment, you're in your mid-40s and there's bound to be changes happening albeit slowly.

Yes ok, to agree with your doctor you obviously do suffer with anxiety...but instead of putting a band aid over it, given your age, where's the problem finding out if some of these symptoms could be because of your hormone levels? Oestrogen and progesterone levels do fluctuate around periods anway as we all know, but in the years before the menopause, a continuing drop in oestrogen can cause unpleasant physical symptoms and make any existing symptoms worse.

Cath S

Thanks Cath

I've just had bloods done, full bloods plus diabetes and coeliac. All normal except slightly low serum creatinine.

But I'll make sure to ask for some hormone tests. Thinking of asking to check cortisol levels too in case it's an adrenal thing.

Hi just wanted to say that I agree with what Catherine has said about hormones. Like you I had palps on and off for years with tests coming back as benign etc but then around 42/43 they become much worse esp before my period, the year before and after my last period was the worst and then they have slowly improved since then although I do still get days where they are bad like today!! As for just feeling off or not well-classic perimenopause stuff although you're right to get checked out of course. If they do a hormonal test be aware that it's just a snapshot of that month and during peri your hormones can fluctuate a lot so dont be surprised if your hormone levels come back normal but for me I ticked a lot of boxes for peri so knew it was that.
    Also, try looking at the York Cardiology videos on Youtube if you havent already-lovely cardiologist who posts very helpful reassuring videos and I think there might be one discussing hormones and palpitations, you can also contact him directly.
    Hope this helps to explain what is probably going on and that you're not alone in this!!
    Seffie x

Thread Information