Thread: need a bit of advice please

need a bit of advice please

Hi all

I am suffering from a really bad phobia ie white coat syndrome, brought on by lots of problems last year. I was bad last week so went GP and she said do your blood pressure at home so I don't need to go to GPs. Which I thought was great so for the last week I have been great. I don't have to take it till August next year as it was fine 2 weeks ago.

But then yesterday morning I got a horrible thought Which went " Oh no say I have to go into hospital or A&E they will take my BP and I will panic and it will go up! What am I to do noooo!"

And since that thought I have been in a state. I know it is because my nerves are sensitised and it's hard to dismiss these horrible scary thoughts which makes your body go into a raging panic. Any advise to help me please. I feel silly having this problem but I can't shake it off. I seem to go from one bad thought to another.

Cathy xx

Re: need a bit of advice please

Please try not to worry about this!!
    I was admitted to A&E recently with chest pains. I had a pulse of 160 and BP of 180/105 on admission. That is extremely high from my normal of P:55-60bpm and BP:120/60. I told them I had a history of anxiety and panic attacks. So they sat me somewhere quiet, and I waited. And waited. And waited. Someone kept coming back to chat to me, offer a drink (after they had ruled out coronary problems obviously!!) and generally allow me to chill out for a bit. Then they retook it, and it was down to slightly higher than normal, but nowhere near as bad as the admission observations.

I work in a hospital, and if we have someone come in with raised BP, we know to retake it within the next 30 mins to an hour, as half the time it is simply down to anxiety or 'white coat syndrome'. Obviously if it remains high, they may begin considering medication, but any health care professional worth their weight will not immediately act on raised BP (unless it is raised to dangerous levels!), and will take into account anxiety, strange surroundings, whether you are in pain, whether you drove or walked to the hosp etc etc etc.

Take care of yourself, and please try not to worry. You know what that is going to do dont you...!!? Raise that blood pressure more than it needs to be. Try and relax.
    Last edited by dorothy1983; 05-09-11 at 23:10.

Re: need a bit of advice please

Thank you Dorothy

I am going to keep those thoughts you have sent me. And if I ever do have to go I would say I have white coat and hope thy will be symperthetic with me.

Cathy xx

Thread Information