Thread: Stiff back of next, throat and dizziness

Heart worry: Stiff back of neck, throat and dizziness

I've been doing well recently and haven't posted any problems...(I used to post all the time a couple of years back, so it's progress)...but ..

Last night I have a few pains in my jaw and some ringing in my ears, so i worried about heart problem, but then they seemed to stop after a while.

I woke up this morning in a really good mood and was having a good day at work (I'm a teacher)..then during my final class this morning the back of my neck suddenly went stiff and felt pressure around my head... I then started to feel light headed and get dizzy rushes...

I remember a friend of mine had high blood pressure sometimes, and the other day he told me he usually feels it in his neck... so I freaked out and thought i must be having the same and that if my blood pressure if rising fast that I can feel it in my neck and head, then something terrible must be about to happen, like a heart attack!! (my worst fear!)

The school nurse said my blood pressure was 140/80... she said it was only up a little and gave me some vitamin C... so I cancelled my last morning class so i could lay down and rest. I was so freaking, convinced that something was about to happen to my heart. Then after 45 minutes, i got up to have my blood pressure checked again, it was 135/75.

The nurse said she thinks is stress. But after that, I had some chest pains when eating. I then slept for 90 minutes and felt a lot better.

I've had countless heart tests over the years, so in theory i know it's ok... but when these things happen, logic goes out of the window and i just really freak out and get so scared because of what i feel happening in my body. Sorry for the long post, i just need to let it out.
    Last edited by Dazza; 22-12-11 at 13:15.

* A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single footstep *

* The only constant in life, is change *

Re: Stiff back of next, throat and dizziness

Normal blood pressure is 120/80, you haven't got high blood pressure if the top number goes up only if the bottom one, the top one is indication of how stressed you are when getting your blood pressure taken. My husband had white coat syndrome and the top number can go up to over 150 when he has it taken by a nurse or dr. Both your lower ones where normal so you don't have high blood pressure.

The pain when eating was probably indigestion, I get this too espcially if I eat too quick. As you said yourself you have numerous tests so please ( I know its hard) try not to worry about it.

JUst wanted tp give you a little reasurrance and a hug ! Hope your feeling better xxx

Re: Stiff back of next, throat and dizziness

Thank you for the reply.

I'd read on the British Blood Pressure Association that even if your low number 80 is normal, you still have have high blood pressure. When mine is usually taken, it's around 120/80 to 130 or 135/80... the doctors always says it's normal. The highest I had onces was 148/80...

I guess you are right, it just depends on how stressed we are at the time, and since I had the sudden neck stiffness and head 'rushes' I'd convinceed myself I was about to die!!! So I guess it's normal that my pressure was up a little, but as you say it wasn't really UP that much, so nothing to worry about....

sometimes, I wish I could switch my mind off!!

thanks for your support and merry Christmas to you.

* A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single footstep *

* The only constant in life, is change *

Thread Information