Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swapping from Fluoxetine (40mg) to Citalopram (20mg) - Advice?

Unhappy Swapping from Fluoxetine (40mg) to Citalopram (20mg) - Advice?

As mentioned in the title I have swapped my medication today after feeling my moods declining after 2 years on Fluoxetine, and would just like to know if there are any others on here who have done the same or something similar. As always with new medication I have studied the side effects and probably worries myself silly as I have heard Citalopram can be quite nasty. Hopefully these will be kept to a minimum and they will actually really help in the long term.

Thanks

Re: Swapping from Fluoxetine (40mg) to Citalopram (20mg) - Advice?

Mornin Mike.
    Fluoxetine is one of the better (older) SSRI's on the market but it does have a tendancy to just stop working for no apparent reason. Switching over to Citalopram shouldnt be too bad as most of the compounds in fluoxetine will be present in Citalopram. Last July I was taking Duloxetine 60mg and GP changed this to Citalopram 20mg. I took a four day break from meds to allow most of the Duloxetine to leave my system then started taking the Citalopram. I never noticed much difference in symptoms or side effects other than having major whirlies off my first fag of the day (which I quite enjoyed anyway) and delayed ejaculations that felt more like having a wee for a couple of weeks. Dont worry about it

Thank you for your advice, I hope it works out better for me this time!

I swapped fluoxetine 40mg to citalopram 20mg with a one day break earlier this year. I was really scared of the side effects, but other than sleepiness and a few headaches the change over was fine. Citalopram has worked really well for me. Hope it does for you too x

Quote Originally Posted by william wallace View Post
    Mornin Mike.
    Fluoxetine is one of the better (older) SSRI's on the market but it does have a tendancy to just stop working for no apparent reason. Switching over to Citalopram shouldnt be too bad as most of the compounds in fluoxetine will be present in Citalopram. Last July I was taking Duloxetine 60mg and GP changed this to Citalopram 20mg. I took a four day break from meds to allow most of the Duloxetine to leave my system then started taking the Citalopram. I never noticed much difference in symptoms or side effects other than having major whirlies off my first fag of the day (which I quite enjoyed anyway) and delayed ejaculations that felt more like having a wee for a couple of weeks. Dont worry about it
    I am on day 27 of flux and the side effects were bad but I had that on cit at the start I was so silly to stop cit as I felt great after 6 months and thought I didn't need them anymore and as I had never took AD I didnt realize you dont just stop. However after a break I realised after crashing I needed somthing so now I am on flux. I was just wandering do you think it is an indivdual thing mr W as I have two friends who have taken flux one has been on it 10 years and the other 20 years and they just sing its praises I would hate to think it just stopped working. If it does happen so be it. but I have also read on here that most AD including Cit can stop working. I am hoping my issues will be sorted out so I will be able to cope with or without AD. Hopfully

Cathy

Hi Cathy. My older sister was on Prozak for six years and it simply stopped working. She told her GP and was immediately changed to Citalopram. He said it was a common fault with this drug. Google " prozak stopped working" and you get 1.2 million results as opposed to "Citalopram stopped working" which gives about 0.5 million results.
    However, this does'nt mean it's going to happen to you Cathy, you might get lucky like your friends, and the millions of folks that take it for many years with no problems.
    Regards, Gordon x

Quote Originally Posted by william wallace View Post
    Hi Cathy. My older sister was on Prozak for six years and it simply stopped working. She told her GP and was immediately changed to Citalopram. He said it was a common fault with this drug. Google " prozak stopped working" and you get 1.2 million results as opposed to "Citalopram stopped working" which gives about 0.5 million results.
    However, this does'nt mean it's going to happen to you Cathy, you might get lucky like your friends, and the millions of folks that take it for many years with no problems.
    Regards, Gordon x
    Thangks Gordon for your reply I think when starting a AD it can make you a bit gittery so was panicing a bit like "Oh god hope it dont stop working for me lol" but if it does I can always go back on cit. If need be. At the moment I must admit I am feeling a little better and I have mostly anxiety so fingers crossed it keeps doing its job.

Cathy xx

oh god,the thought of meds stopping working is enough to bring anxiety back......
    im thinking of upping my fluoxetine dose,as i feel flat.....not depressed...just numb and flat......is this normal?

Hi - seeing my GP to tomorrow - asking to go back on Prozac 20mg - as had been on this for 15 years - fantastic - had a bereavement in October and naturally was in a state again - Dr upped to 40mg BIG mistake made my anxiety double - lost a stone in a week! Was put on Mirtazapine - in December - feel as flat as a pancake - and eating rubbish! Just hope it will work like it did first time around - in a bit of a panic really - also taking Lorazepam when needed. Good luck to you all on your Prozac journey x

Quote Originally Posted by sickandtired View Post
    oh god,the thought of meds stopping working is enough to bring anxiety back......
    im thinking of upping my fluoxetine dose,as i feel flat.....not depressed...just numb and flat......is this normal?
    Yes Donna I felt the same when I read it here's me thinking oh good think I am on the up here then read that lol and you know what we're like at the min the least thing and the worry hat comes on but as Gordon said it may not happen and if it does, just get on the cit lol

Hope you start feeling less flat I was a bit worried today as I had a letter from nhs saying they had no record I was on ESA so had to go the horrid job centre and made 3 phone calls as needed help filling the NHS form in so apparently I am on contribution based which means I wont be entiteled to free dental treatment. it makes me mad as I never been on any benefits until I lost my job due to my anxiety with the marriage breakup. and I worked for job centre plus would you believe? lol. I just want a job and get off this shit as I am due a medical and I dread it if they take my blood pressure I will freak out lol but the girl from the ESA said when I get my letter just go to your GP and get a letter saying you take your own BP as you have white coat syndrome and it is fine so you have no need to take it as I am off work with anxiety/depression. So I will do that I had to take a diazipam after coming out of that job centre plus. I hate it!!!

Cathy xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information