Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is prozac stronger than citalopram?

Re: Is prozac stronger than citalopram?

Sam, are you a Pharmacist? That explanation is really settling for someone like me who has to know everything! Thanks for explaining it.

I have had every SSRI. They are all different. I'm on Prozac now coming up to the third week. I have to say its the most gentle one I've ever had! Side effects are almost non existent! And the fear of SEs was the very reason I avoided medication for this past 3 years! All I really have is clammy hands and feet which is actually great cause I suffer terribly with cold extremities! My only hope now is that they actually do the job...I'm feeling better but not great yet. The citolapram probably had the most side effects but it's actually the longest one I was ever on. I had nausea, period issues, weight gain, headaches, fatigue and yawned all the time. These SEs lasted the full 2 years I was on them. Zoloft gave me brain and body zaps, yawning, sweating and teeth clenching. Paroxetine was the quickest to work and very calming where I would totally zone out and float in lala land which I quite enjoyed. I gained weight on these within the first two weeks! Had terrible sexual disfunction also, but over all the side effects were ok. I was on the minimum dose with both paroxetine and citolapram and a high dose with the Zoloft.
    Like the others have said, there is no stronger one, they just all affect differently which is probably due to the lock and key description Sam gave.

Kel

No Kelley, I'm just a nurse, I'm training to be an independant prescriber so have been to lectures about how drugs work - that's how I know all the geeky stuff, but it helps me picture what is happening inside my brain with the drugs at the moment.
    Like you I've tried quite a few SSRI and old tricyclics, Prozac has worked for me in the past and the side effects are less for me than Citalopram. I'm on day 31 of Prozac and increased to 40mg 10 days ago and doing OK. It's never quick with these drugs but I think I'm getting there now.

Here's a thought for you - in the future they will be able to type our serotonin receptors from DNA samples, then we won't have to go through this trial and error with medication - we will know what drugs 'fit' and will work with us. We're just born too soon.

Take care and hope everyone is OK

No kidding?!! OMG that's incredible! I love how stuff works......I always say to my husband that one day it'll all be a sinch to fix these things and so I'm right. I'd love to have a job like that where you can have info like that at hand.....

Why did you go up to the 40mg? Was there no improvement at all on the 20? What are you on it for?

Kel

Hi Kel,
    I went up to 40mg after 4 weeks because I'm inpatient and wasn't improving as quickly as I'd like! When I took Prozac 9 years ago I was seeing a shrink who suggested I took 40mg after the first month, which I did with no increase in side effects and saw improvement quite quickly - within 2 weeks. So I thought that 40mg would be OK for me this time and my doc agreed. It's day 10 and I do feel better than a week ago.
    I suffer with panic attacks and anxiety which then lead to depression. I'm generally a confident, happy and optomistic person so when 'it' strikes I find it hard to cope. It normally happens after a period on prolonged stress, no major incidents just general life stuff - but this time I'm going to learn from it Hope you're OK
    Love Sam

Hi Sam - nurse prescribing course that's complicated you must be brainey - lots of my friends are nurses and they say the course is very hard they were with pharmacists too on the course. When do you take you exam?

Hey Sam,

That sounds reasonable. You are so lucky you can tolerate it a second time around! Laura would be very envious!!

Kel x

Hi Sam,

Pretty cool. You should have kept it quiet - you really might be in high demand on here!

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Yeah, I think you could be right about keeping it quiet but it has helped me understand why antidepressants are such a tricky class of drugs to get right. I will try to help anyone who is struggling with this horrible condition, I find that the more you understand the reasons behind why you feel like you do the easier it is to cope with - it's not imaginary - all the symptoms and feelings we get are real and there's usually a explanation of why. Doesn't make it disappear but it makes you realise we are not going mad
    The exams in July Laura, I can't imagine travelling the 100 miles to the exam centre yet let alone having to perform a consultation to two assessors, a verbal question and answer session, a written pharmacology paper - where the pass mark is 80%, write a prescription and the consultation notes. I've passed the numeracy and prescription tests already, thankfully. I have 6 essays to write too, 2 and bit done but I'd rather do them anyday than the day of hell in July. I'm a little stressed by the thought of it as you can tell. Funnily when I started the course I was well and took it all in my stride, thought 'it'll be fine, it's only a course' but this illness really does change your perception on things.
    Anyway, how's everyone today??

Hi Sam - I understand - when we are well we can take on anything but things are a different story otherwise. You sound as though you are doing OK - I know this is a tough exam 3 of friends are "sisters" nurse prescribers and they said it was very hard - they said they were with pharmacists too who were doing the course, but they did pass. You are limited though to what you can prescribe aren't you? but the funny thing is a year or so after they left the practice and the gp was fuming as its quite costly for them!

I am sure you'll be fine.

Laura x

Does any one no if u can increase prozac urself?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information