Thread: How long for Sertraline To Work??

How long for Sertraline To Work??

Hi,
    I'm new to this site and I have recently been diagnosed with a general anxiety disorder. Originally I was told it was post natal depression and I have been on Mirtazapine for a few months until they stopped working!! Anyway, I was changed onto Sertraline 3 weeks tomorrow and I am still suffering with terrible anxiety and VERY BAD sleep,I wondered if anyone can tell me their experience of how long it takes Sertraline to start working?? I'm thinking give it another week. I am going to see the Doctor on Thursday next week but am reluctant to have to change onto another med again.
    Thanks
    Kxx

Re: How long for Sertraline To Work??

Hi and It usually takes at least 4 weeks before you notice a change on Sertraline and usually by 6weeks a definite change is felt. However, it does take a few months before optimal effect is felt. It is quite a slow working drug but side effects are generally less than other meds. Depends on the person really.

This is my personal experience anyway. Ive been on 50mg for over 4 months now and feel almost back to normal. Anxiety was relieved at about 4 weeks and the depression took a couple of months. I have found that it is vg for anxiety as Ive had to face some medical issues recently which would have sent me into a panic before but could now get through with what I would call "normal anxiety" only!

Hang in there a while longer and hopefully you will also reap the benefits. Patience is the key unfortunately . There are a few of us on here taking Sertraline with positive outcomes if you search for the threads. Best of luck -you will get there

Mo x

Thank you Mo for replying, I really appreciate it and it's nice to chat to people who are/have been in the same situation as even though my Husband is a great support he just doesn't understand what anxiety is like, which I understand.
    I'm pleased to hear you are feeling good again and it sure gives me hope, I will keep at it and hope it's not too long to start working.
    Thanks again.
    Kxx

Hi. Although I have read that it can take a long time for sertraline to work I found it working for depression almost immediately and my anxiety had completely gone by the 3rd week of taking it. It did though increase my anxiety to begin with and I had trouble sleeping but only for a couple of nights.
    I have now been taking it for just over six weeks and feel very much back to my normal self & do not seem to have any lasting side effects.
    I think antidepressants can work differently for all of us. I have tried some that did not work at all and others that made me worse. The same can be said for the speed at which they take effect. 3 weeks is certainly not a long time and hopefully you will find them suddenly working. My problem now is that now I am feeling better I keep forgetting to take them.
    I hope that with time you will soon be free of your anxiety.

Thank you hunny for replying, lets hope now i'm into the 3rd week that things start to happen soon, i'm really starting to get desperate lol!!!

Thread Information